ROUND 4: Knights v Panthers @ Hunter Stadium

Why are these articles saying best start since 2006? Swear we lost to the Warriors in round 4 that year. I remember hearing on the radio on the way to that game that Johns was out.

Beat the Dragons 54-6 the week after and if he played we would have beaten the Warriors.

It was a great day at the footy.

Brock Lamb is the classiest junior player i've seen for years. I loved it when he ran at the line with the ball held in front of him looking like he would pass, and then just stepped and glided through to score without a hand on him, and five minutes later he did the same run at the same defenders, and just when they all rushed at him to stop him scoring again, he threw a no look reverse pass to Pythian who scored as easy as shelling peas.
Danny Levi scored 2 of his trademark tries from dummy half runs. He is unstoppable near the line. Both times he ran straight at 3 defenders and they had no hope of stopping him.

In NSW cup we had a solid win over last year's premiers. We won it in the forwards, with guys like Mataora and Tapine and Fitzgibbon all roughing up their opposite numbers, and even Filipo, Steele, Finn and Taylor held their own.

3 very good wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Its our best start in 13 years!

just for the record knights have won 11 of last 14, Last 6 in a row and 7 straight at home!

Up the Knights!!!
Has Sione lost 1 or 2 of his 11 firstgrade games?

Has Sione lost 1 or 2 of his 11 firstgrade games?

Played - 11
Won - 9
Lost - 2

Round 20, 2014 vs Roosters - WON
Round 21, 2014 vs Souths - LOST
Round 22, 2014 vs Melbourne - WON
Round 23, 2014 vs Warriors - WON

Round 24, 2014 vs Broncos - LOST
Round 25, 2014 vs Parramatta - WON
Round 26, 2014 vs Dragons - WON
Round 1, 2015 vs Warriors - WON
Round 2, 2015 vs Cowboys - WON
Round 3, 2015 vs Titans - WON
Round 4, 2015 vs Panthers - WON

Played - 11
Won - 9
Lost - 2

Round 20, 2014 vs Roosters - WON
Round 21, 2014 vs Souths - LOST
Round 22, 2014 vs Melbourne - WON
Round 23, 2014 vs Warriors - WON

Round 24, 2014 vs Broncos - LOST
Round 25, 2014 vs Parramatta - WON
Round 26, 2014 vs Dragons - WON
Round 1, 2015 vs Warriors - WON
Round 2, 2015 vs Cowboys - WON
Round 3, 2015 vs Titans - WON
Round 4, 2015 vs Panthers - WON
His club record in all grades would be amazing.
He didn't lose many in Mathews - probably only a couple over 2 seasons. The team lost some when he was injured or suspended.
In Ball he didn't play a lot of games because of injury.
In NYC his first year he played half a season and won about 50% i imagine, and his second season we won the minor premiership, so his win record would be good.
I imagine he has about an 80% win record in Knights colours - and he hasn't lost too many rep games either.

Satisfaction still a long way off: Knights

Sat 28 Mar, 2015, 9:03pm

By Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com

While the Newcastle Knights are more than happy with their 4-0 start to the season, it doesn't mean they still aren't chasing improvement following their 26-14 win over competition heavyweights the Panthers on Saturday afternoon.

The sole ladder-leaders in the NRL Telstra Premiership, coach Rick Stone and his players know there is still plenty to achieve if the Knights are to be considered premiership threats.

Regardless, their progress so far in 2015 is an exponential improvement on last season.

Where it took Newcastle until Round 16 in 2014 – a 16-10 win over the Eels– to record their fourth win of the year, 12 months later the Knights have achieved that within the first month of the season.

Throw into the mix how Newcastle have won their past six matches and their last seven at Hunter Stadium and all signs are showing the Novocastrians are moving in the right direction.

"Everyone is experiencing a high at the moment," Newcastle centre Dane Gagai told NRL.com.

"But in saying that it is still early on in the season. We're not getting too far ahead of ourselves and we'll keep trying to better ourselves each week because I don't think we have played the best footy we possibly can.

"It's definitely a good feeling being around Newcastle at the moment though. When you win four from four it makes you proud to be a Novocastrian.

"It makes you hold your head high and makes the fans and the town happy. That's who we do it for at the end of the day."

Newcastle back-rower Chris Houston, who was a late inclusion in the starting team following Robbie Rochow's withdrawal moments before the Knights' warm up on Saturday, agreed with Gagai in that there is plenty of improvement to come.

Making the point of the Knights' familiarity with returning coach Rick Stone in previous years, Houston added the way they have kicked off their season hasn't been unexpected.

"[Our start to the year] blows my mind in a way but we have the same squad as last year and having known Rick Stone for a long time helps," Houston told NRL.com.

"We're just building off the back of last year, where if you look at how we went, we were playing some decent footy then as well.

"While it's nice we are winning, we aren't really playing the way that we have been wanting to though and that's all we are really concentrating on – to improve each week."

With the previously undefeated South Sydney losing to the Eels on Friday night, Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley insisted there was no chatter about going solo on the top of the table before their win over the Panthers.

"It's wonderful to be four from four and to play in front of our home fans," Gidley said.

"It's great to be at the top of the table sure but I haven't and won't be jumping on my phone to check the ladder anytime soon."

What was important for Gidley though was to earn a bit more respect from rugby league pundits across the country.

The veteran fullback is chasing appreciation from others, in Newcastle's quest for improvement.

"Each win now, especially after [beating Penrith], we'll hopefully start to get a bit of respect," Gidley said.

"It's about time we be taken a bit more fair dinkum."

http://www.nrl.com/satisfaction-still-a-long-way-off-knights/tabid/10874/newsid/84905/default.aspx

Cleary not worried by Knights' tactics

Sat 28 Mar, 2015, 8:40pm

Sometimes Newcastle Knights enforcer Beau Scott may go one or two steps too far such is his passion for the game.

Yet when it came to Scott pressuring opposition kickers it was fair game according to Panthers coach Ivan Cleary following his side's 26-14 loss to the Knights.

There were five instances where Cleary's halfback and captain Peter Wallace was flattened by the Knights' defence off the ball after he either passed or kicked.

While Scott was responsible for three of these occurrences, with Jeremy Smith and Joey Leilua making up the numbers, Cleary said he had no problem with Newcastle's tactics, despite the recent debate over Scott's style of play.

"You never like to see that happening to your captain and playmaker but honestly I thought everything they did off the ball was alright," Cleary said after the game.

"It's just how it goes that if you end up giving them a little bit more time when you have the ball then that's going to happen."

Admitting Newcastle's pressure off the ball may well have been a factor in the game's outcome if – and only if – his side were still in the game, the fact of the matter for Cleary was that momentum never swung the Panthers' way when it mattered most.

Going down 18-0 after 20 minutes, Cleary said the "catch-up mentality" of his side meant the Panthers weren't as successful or clinical as they obviously wanted to be.

"[Newcastle's tactics] becomes a factor if or when you're building momentum in the game and they had it all at the start of the game," Cleary said.

"After that we were playing catch-up so we couldn't build a proper game. They're riding high though too so they're doing a lot of things right."

Newcastle coach Rick Stone was quick to defend Scott, whose timing is proving impeccable when making such solid contributions off the ball, especially considering he didn't concede a penalty while doing so all game.

"I think that's what you try to do to most playmakers. Wallace is a decent player and it's our job to put the pressure on him. I thought we did that pretty well within the rules," Stone said.

"Last time we played like that we copped a bit of flak for it but most teams are looking to do the same – deny the opposition playmakers the chance to get any time or space.

"It's no secret. Every team has been trying to do it for 100 years and I think it will continue for a while yet."

Meanwhile Cleary credited the Panthers' very short turnaround as the cause to his side's flat performance against Newcastle.

"We didn't do anything differently this week.

"The reality was the game last Monday night was easily the toughest game we have had this season.

"It was very physical and really it was only a four-and-a-half day turnaround with travel as well so it was a fairly big ask for us," Cleary said.

"They were full of running and obviously back at home and full of confidence. It was just one of those games."

http://www.nrl.com/cleary-not-worried-by-knights-tactics/tabid/10874/newsid/84904/default.aspx

What a great day. Wins for all grades and us on top of the table...thank you Parra.

I thought they all played well, no one really stood out above anyone else. Special mentions though to Beau, Mullo, and Houston.

We saw Rick come out and call Tapine in at the end of NSW Cup and I assumed it was Kade out. Very surprised to hear it was Rochow.

Clydesdale came off at the end too, hope he will be ok for next week.

I guess I am looking forward to the dragons game, but my nerves are taking a battering.

Knights v Panthers: Five key points

Sat 28 Mar, 2015, 8:15pm

The Newcastle Knights scored a 26-14 victory over last year's preliminary finalists in the Panthers to keep their undefeated record intact and take outright position atop the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder.

These are five key points from the fixture.

The Knights keep bucking trends

Newcastle have won their last seven games at home and have been victorious the past six times they have run out onto a rugby league field, but there was another achievement the club notched on Saturday afternoon and it involved all three grades.

Not once this season have all three grades recorded victories on the same day – in fact every round in 2015 so far has seen exactly two of Newcastle's sides win.

Yet on a day which gave a 'Voice for Miners' in the Hunter on an absolutely stunning afternoon in Newcastle, the Knights killed it.

The Holden Cup side led by captain Danny Levi produced a 34-8 win while a Chad Redman penalty goal after the siren saw the NSW Cup team record an 18-16 win in what was a fantastic grand final rematch from last season.

Penrith's first 20 minutes were "forgettable"

Following the loss, Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary and captain Peter Wallace admitted they believed the game was all but over in the first 20 minutes.

Three tries, from Adam Clydsdale, Chris Houston and Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley, saw the away team looking hard-pressed to win from the get-go.

It left Cleary to tell reporters he'd "rather forget" about the first quarter of the game.

"I definitely thought we were a chance to [win afterwards].

"But the problem starting like that is you are trying to catch up though we certainly had our chances," Clearly said.

"But when you're in that catch-up mindset you're probably not as clinical as you should be I suppose.

"Look, I thought we were a chance with three minutes to go – but it just wasn't to be."

Jamie Soward's importance is obvious in his absence

Matt Moylan isn't even half as effective without his partner in crime Jamie Soward.

While Wallace and Moylan did their absolute best to steer the ship around, the Panthers looked lost and unorderly when it came to their attack.

Throw in the fact James Segeyaro (lip) and Soward's replacement Isaac John (quad) were missing and it's hard not to think that Penrith are in for a couple of more lean weeks without their chief playmaker.

Especially when they produced 200 metres and 20 offloads more than Newcastle.

However, according to Cleary, their absence "wasn't the reason the first 20 minutes happened".

Kurt Gidley has a spring in his step

Newcastle captain Gidley looks happy in his preferred position of fullback, but most importantly the former NSW and Australia representative looks, above all, settled.

After earning man-of-the-match honours last weekend against the Titans, Gidley backed it up against Penrith with a try and 108 metres and even he couldn't help but admit he loves being back where he belongs.

"It's tough, I feel sore and I'm feeling knocked around but that's exactly the way you want to feel after a game.

"I was so proud of all the guys today – it was a big game and our biggest game this year so far," Gidley said.

"I think after three wins, people's expectations were higher and I think we delivered today."

Newcastle Knights – finals bound?

NRL.com might be going off early here, but it is hard to ignore statistics when it comes to the Knights' finals chances.

Courtesy of Andrew Voss earlier in the week, of the 32 teams to start a season 3-0 – let alone 4-0 – since the inception of the NRL in 1998, four have won the grand final, three have finished runners up, and 18 more have made the playoffs.

Only six of these 32 sides have missed the finals.

But wait, there's more!

Against Penrith, the Knights recorded their fourth-straight win to kick off their season – the first time they have done so since 2002.

In that particular season Newcastle tied first on points and lost the minor premiership to the Warriors on for-and-against.

Newcastle also started off the 1995 and 1998 seasons with a 4-0 start to the year as well and you better believe the Knights made the finals in those seasons too.

http://www.nrl.com/knights-v-panthers-five-key-points/tabid/10874/newsid/84903/default.aspx

How many wins will it take to make the 8 do we think?

They said on Triple M last week that 13 wins definitely will, and 12 probably will. I think we should aim for 24 :D

Watching the press conferences and one journo keeps asking both teams about Wallace being tackled late, give me a break, there was nothing in any of those moments.

Watching the press conferences and one journo keeps asking both teams about Wallace being tackled late, give me a break, there was nothing in any of those moments.

They talked a lot about it in the super Saturday wrap up on Fox too FFS :fist:

Yeah, somehow we're the big baddies even though every team in the NRL does it and has done for years.

Pretty simple, if you're a half that passes right before the line - prepare to get hit.

Can anyone tell me how Tyler Randell played? We all waited for him to get another go, but I haven't heard his name mentioned once

Wasn't a standout like he was in Round One, had a really good run towards the end which I thought was going to get him over the line. However our attack was spot on when he came onto the field, where as against the Cowboys and Titans you could see a difference.

And the whole late hits is ****ing garbage; Souths, Roosters, Storm and Bulldogs over the last three year ALWAYS did them, were always rough on halves but escaped any greater scrutiny because they're clubs the media just can't get enough of. I really don't care what bad press we cop, as long as it wins us games and keeps our momentum then I'm going to support it.

Randell did his job well. He was solid moreso than spectacular, which is what you'd expect from him. He's great in defence and made some big tackles in the middle third today. Wasn't as much of a standout as round 1 but did his claims for a permanent spot no harm. Have to remember too that he hasn't played for three weeks before today.

With the late hits, I think most people (even Cleary) know there's nothing to it, it's just journos looking for a story. But hey, as long as we keep winning I don't care if people call us dirty for no reason.

Stockwell continues to impress me every week, but particularly today he was hitting the line fast and hard in his hitups and really getting us on the front foot. He's developing nicely.

I can't believe those that wrote him off after a meaningless nines game.

Stone seems to be able to draw the absolute best out of nearly our entire squad, except for our halves

The way some of the young forwards are playing I'd go as far as saying we have one of the best young collection of props in the comp. Stockwell and Korbin are playing with enormous energy, impact and aggression -- you couldn't ask anymore from them.

With Tariq set to return and our structure to improve we could have some improvement left in us. I Do sometimes wonder, if we would be an unbeatable side with a classy halfback

Back