Adam O'Brien discussion

"Used to it" is an understatement. Plenty of fans have already snapped right back into praising moral victories after it looked like we were actually making progress last year.

I've kept this one quiet until now, but it worried me big time. I took my daughter to one of the training sessions in January. There was about six people watching.

Obi obviously wanted to talk to Greg Marzhew about his weight. I would have thought that was something that required a face to face behind closed doors, with a full explanation given and a trainer there to talk about how to go about it. Instead it was done quickly, right in front of us. All I knew about it was Obi turned to walk away and quipped "you weigh more than most of our forwards". Marz reacted by saying "that's because I do all their work bro". He then pegged a ball at Obi which hit him on the back of the leg. Obi didn't break stride, just kept walking away.

I was pretty dumbfounded by the whole thing. I said to the daughter that this isn't good. On top of not doing it in private and professionally, to not react to a player pegging a ball at you just left me questioning the level of respect in the place. I didn't say anything initially on here because it would just have been a bit of rumour mongering. After reading the quote above it seemed more appropriate coming from a professionalism point of view.
Sounds like a side show to me.
Not the way professional organisations are run and explains a lot about some of our players’ performances.
Right out of the 1970s coaching manual.

In terms of where the squad sits (including the coach) we are obviously behind Panthers, Broncos, Warriors, Storm and Roosters.

Then I'd probably throw in Manly based on the quality of their spine and halfback play.

That puts us 7th at best if you think we're better than the Eels/Raiders/Sharks/Cows/Rabbits which I'm not convinced we are.

Most concerning was how we were absolutely monstered in the middle when it really counted in the finals last year. You can say they were tired after being up for 10 games to make it, but good sides don't have to be at 100% effort for 3 months leading into the finals just to scrape in.

AOB should have never been given a 3 year extension even with that dream run that now looks like a flash in the pan. Would have given an extra year with KPI clauses.

If he doesn't have a shrine to KP saving his career somewhere he's taking the ****.

Following on from todays Jackson Hastings incident where he uppercut Will Pryce.w
Disappointed that Adam O’Brian had not pulled up any of the players on this or addressed the group acted like nothing happened.
I think this is pretty low standard from AOB and shows where the club is at.
I know at higher clubs when incidents like this happens it is immediately pulled up and addressed by the coaching staff and management.
Very disappointing that he couldn’t at least address this and pull it up explain that that action is not good at all and for culture of the group.
WOW! Was this reported anywhere?

In terms of where the squad sits (including the coach) we are obviously behind Panthers, Broncos, Warriors, Storm and Roosters.

Then I'd probably throw in Manly based on the quality of their spine and halfback play.

That puts us 7th at best if you think we're better than the Eels/Raiders/Sharks/Cows/Rabbits which I'm not convinced we are.

Most concerning was how we were absolutely monstered in the middle when it really counted in the finals last year. You can say they were tired after being up for 10 games just to make it in, but good sides don't have to be at 100% effort for 3 months leading into the finals just to scrape in.

If he doesn't have a shrine to KP saving his career somewhere he's taking the ****.
Yep

Most concerning was how we were absolutely monstered in the middle when it really counted in the finals last year. You can say they were tired after being up for 10 games to make it, but good sides don't have to be at 100% effort for 3 months leading into the finals just to scrape in.

Agree regarding all of this bar the mention of Souths. I think they are in worse position than we are. They have looked even worse than us, players aren't interested eg Latrell and Cody and JD will be lucky to keep his job. I actually think even AOB is better than him.

Fear the most talented player this club has had in KP since Joey's career is going to end up in disappointment.

In current form yeah we're miles ahead of the Bunnies but if their blokes were having a go there's a conversation to be had at least.

Latrell, Wighton, Walker, Cook, Koloamatangi, Murray all very very good players. After KP our quality falls away pretty quickly, I don't think our 6 or 7 best players are better than theirs?

Should never have extended AOB and my reasons are as follows:

No line speed in defence, No support play, horrible last tackle options, no enterprising play, boring high percentage play (which usually results in us just rucking it out from our 20), refusing to drop the "alpha" for his consistently poor performances, unfit team.

In current form yeah we're miles ahead of the Bunnies but if their blokes were having a go there's a conversation to be had at least.

Latrell, Wighton, Walker, Cook, Koloamatangi, Murray all very very good players. After KP our quality falls away pretty quickly, I don't think our 6 or 7 best players are better than theirs?
I will admit that if Souths weren't going as bad as they are they'd be in the mix but they are totally diabolical right now and don't think they're getting out of that mess anytime soon.

Also agree that after KP all of those guys you mentioned if they were in our side would all the 2nd or 3rd best player. Only Frizell and Best are as good I think. Bold take here but maybe KPP in that group.

Their depth I don't rate at all worse than ours and there are blokes in that team I wouldn't pick for NSW Cup eg Milne, Thompson, Ilias.

Sounds like we need a new head coach.

The whole club needs a broom put through it and bring in people at all levels that will drive standards and hold people to account.

And again, if this stuff happened at a Sydney club it's all over the news, fox ripping in etc.

We seem to get a free pass with this stuff.

And the Sh!t show continues.

Agree regarding all of this bar the mention of Souths. I think they are in worse position than we are. They have looked even worse than us, players aren't interested eg Latrell and Cody and JD will be lucky to keep his job. I actually think even AOB is better than him.

Fear the most talented player this club has had in KP since Joey's career is going to end up in disappointment.
Got to be frustrating for Ponga. Couldn't have done anymore last week .We just don't support the guy .Wouldn't blame him if he wanted out .

Sounds like we need a new head coach.
I hate to agree here but when it gets to the this point it’s irreversible. This is all thoroughly disappointing to hear. I wondered if there was crap going on behind the scenes as it would easily explain the attitude on field at times and it’s also a sign that this hasn’t just happened overnight but obviously built up over time.

How must the new recruits be feeling about leaving everything they know to come to this **** fight?

Last edited:
Back