Adam O'Brien discussion

Have thought over last weeks loss and I am easing my disappointment with the short turn around theory.
We have done it tough due to travel and hard games, 31/3 Sun V Warriors in NZ travel home 1/4, 5/4 Fri V St Geo at home, heavy rain, flooded field, 11/4 Thurs V Roosters, 12 days 3 games 1 win 2 losses and we have had roster changes, Warriors with Gags out, Thompson susp, Brailey not starting, Gamble/Hastings playing. St Geo Marzhew and Friz out, Cogger/Hastings playing, Roosters Frizell out,
I know injuries occur for all teams but changes and quick turn arounds along with that energy sapping game against St Geo all counted against us so with possibly full squad, longish break, 10 days, we will be fit and ready for the Bulldogs which won’t be an easy game

He's made finals 3/4 years since hes been here, yes its not great footy but its better then 8+ other coaches in the league. Don't know why this chat comes up after every ****in loss. **** weak from us as fans
Not really an Obi fan , but yeah we don't want to go down that path. Think we just have to hope things turn . Comp appears very even . I think we we be competitive but unless our forwards turning up & we find a kicking game can't see us making the eight

He's made finals 3/4 years since hes been here, yes its not great footy but its better then 8+ other coaches in the league. Don't know why this chat comes up after every ****in loss. **** weak from us as fans

Looking at it like 3 from 4 makes it not look that bad.

First finals we whimpered our way in to the finals and went straight out. We had no business being there! Only one of those finals appearances would I say we had any real shot at making the GF.

And that is the clubs goal, all clubs goal, make it to that final game and roll the dice. Not all can realistically do that sure, but they should be developing a squad and playstyle that heads in that direction as best they can to their ability.

Over OB's tenure, we haven't seen him be able to develop the team in to a consistant, competitive force where we are in the fight, all the time. Last season we went on a great run, and rode that wave, this season the tide is out.

I always try to judge the team by whether we are performing about par, beating teams we should be and that should be lower than us, competitive against the sides we are around abouts with, and hopefully competitive against the top 4 standout teams with obvious losses to be expected, but maybe jag some results also.

In his tenure here we have had comparitively easy draws each year. And he has managed less than 50% win rate over his time here. Heaven forbid we get a difficult draw!

Then I look at the players available, in the Brown years we had a spoon level squad and that is what we achieved. Par for the course. OB does not have that squad. We have origin reps, we have a decent forward pack that should be able to compete against vast majority, we have a superstar of the game in KP. OB should be able to get a game plan going based around that. Based around hard work, effort, and tenacity. Based around getting us in to good field position through handling and sharp kicking, and getting KP in to good ball situations.

The only question to ask is, does OB have this squad performing on par with where they should be both in game, and on the ladder?

I can't say he does.

its really not that dire, we are a bees d**k from being 4-2 really. id rather start slow and build into the season as opposed to coming out firing and burning out mid year (souths last year anyone?). i said before season started i could see us being 0-4 with the draw and travel in that 1st month. the draw softens right up in the next 2 months and i can see us getting our season back on track.

this thread is reading how it did last season and we managed to have our best season in over a decade, itl turn around.

Following on from todays Jackson Hastings incident where he uppercut Will Pryce.
Disappointed that Adam O’Brian had not pulled up any of the players on this or addressed the group acted like nothing happened.
I think this is pretty low standard from AOB and shows where the club is at.
I know at higher clubs when incidents like this happens it is immediately pulled up and addressed by the coaching staff and management.
Very disappointing that he couldn’t at least address this and pull it up explain that that action is not good at all and for culture of the group.

Last edited:
Following on from todays Jackson Hastings incident where he uppercut Will Pryce.
Disappointed that Adam O’Brian had not pulled up any of the players on this or addressed the group acted like nothing happened.
I think this is pretty low standard from AOB and shows where the club is at.
I know at higher clubs when incidents like this happens it is immediately pulled up and addressed by the coaching staff and management.
Very disappointing that he couldn’t at least address this and pull it up explain that that action is not good and for culture of the group.
I've kept this one quiet until now, but it worried me big time. I took my daughter to one of the training sessions in January. There was about six people watching.

Obi obviously wanted to talk to Greg Marzhew about his weight. I would have thought that was something that required a face to face behind closed doors, with a full explanation given and a trainer there to talk about how to go about it. Instead it was done quickly, right in front of us. All I knew about it was Obi turned to walk away and quipped "you weigh more than most of our forwards". Marz reacted by saying "that's because I do all their work bro". He then pegged a ball at Obi which hit him on the back of the leg. Obi didn't break stride, just kept walking away.

I was pretty dumbfounded by the whole thing. I said to the daughter that this isn't good. On top of not doing it in private and professionally, to not react to a player pegging a ball at you just left me questioning the level of respect in the place. I didn't say anything initially on here because it would just have been a bit of rumour mongering. After reading the quote above it seemed more appropriate coming from a professionalism point of view.

Yeah that’s pretty bad all round.

Explains a lot though. Hope there’s some performance based clauses in that new contract.

Was Parr there for the fight?

Back