2016 Newcastle Knights Jersey

it's a pity that Balmain and Norths colours aren't able to be used by new clubs, because those two are amongst the best 3 or 4 combinations possible. Black and red in particular was always one of the top strips every year.
Parra and Souths have good colours two.
If we had been able to have any colours in 1988 I think they would have asked for the colours Newcastle had in 1908 and 1909, which was "blood and bandages" or red and white hoops.

Not sure we'd have been allowed to use red and white with St George and Illawarra in the comp at the time, loved watching us in that 1908 kit back in 2008 though. Completely agree on the Norths colours, red and black always looks great and I wouldn't be surprised if a second Brisbane team uses those colours when they finally get admitted into the comp.

I reckon we might've used the Newcastle council colours of emerald green, cinnamon and white aka the mud and grass jumper that the Newcastle rep team has usually worn. Looked quite good when the Jets wore it the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't care if we played in Apricot Yellow and Passionfruit Purple if we won the GF. Was gonna suggest nude pink but had to consider Tasgirl and all that eye candy!!!!!!

I wouldn't care if we played in Apricot Yellow and Passionfruit Purple if we won the GF. Was gonna suggest nude pink but had to consider Tasgirl and all that eye candy!!!!!!

Tasgirl wouldn't be overly impressed with some of us supporters wearing the nude pick my friend...

I was thinking of the players Defender, particularly Jake! Supporters? Yuck only a depraved mind could come up with that my lad!

Thank Christ we didn't end up with that disaster.

haha
I have a feeling I read somewhere that red and blue were preferred and 2nd preference was navy blue and grey. But I can't remember where or when I read that! Very similar to the Cowboys I would imagine - without the yellow?

I don't recall reading that one anywhere (not saying you didn't or that it's not true ... I'm just saying I've not heard that one before!).
In regards to the red and blue colour choosing, and that Brisbane wanted them, that story appears in the old Knights book called 'Our Town Our Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights' be Neil Jamison (sp?). We chose them because they were (are?) the colours of the first school in Newcastle. Brisbane wanted them because, in their logic, combining them together makes maroon. It actually makes purple, but that was their logic.

Perhaps -if true- your navy blue and grey 2nd choice came about because they could be the colours of the first high school in Newcastle maybe? I don't know, but they are very common colours for high schools, with primary schools usually having the brighter primary colours. Just a thought.

Back