Reuben Garrick

HarVeeGee13

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Thought I’d make a separate thread for him since the rumour is he’s the targeted replacement for KP at fullback if he moves to the halves.

In 14 games at fullback this year:
6 tries
9 try assists
185 running metres per game (4th among fullbacks)

My take on the alleged interest, good and bad points:

+ Would address some common complaints about KP - he’s a much stronger kick returner/yardage worker with a bigger body; very much a classic fullback in that he’s become good at swinging around to provide the extra ball playing option & he backs up well through the middle. No more confusion about roles in the team - KP plays closer to the ball as a half without depriving us of quality fullback play in attack.
+ Career 77% goal kicker. Finally addresses that problem.
+ Most reliable recipe for finding a quality spine player at a discount is taking a punt on a guy who looks the goods & is hungry for a chance who’s stuck behind an established star, therefore who aren’t so proven themselves that they demand a massive payday upfront - most would say Hynes at $600K has turned out to be quite a bargain; Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for a reported $330K a season was an insane bargain. For my money it’s conceivable Garrick is gettable for about a $500K a season, which as I understand it is about double what he’s getting now.
+ By all reports a good kid with his head on straight, good “team culture” guy.
- His main issue as a fullback atm is defensive positioning. That’s the thing which makes it a punt - you’re betting that he’ll get better at it.
- A decent financial outlay on a player who you think might address an issue ASAP (rather than targeting more established/better players available from 2024 onwards) is arguably a very short term, back-the-coach-we-have-now decision. If you want AOB fired really really badly, you might not want the club to do this.

His defensive positioning can’t be worse than Ponga, his Goalkicking is a huge plus, Pongas move to 6-7 is a huge plus providing he gives it his best (my concern) and a 1 is cheaper than a 6-7. We can get by with Clune, Clifford at 6-7 to cover injury etc and Hodgson at 1.

His defensive positioning can’t be worse than Ponga
Hahaha. Nah it’s awful mate. It’s definitely worse than KP’s. His worst instinct is that he runs towards players who’ve just made a break instead of showing them the sideline so they have to angle their run a bit more laterally with the chasing defenders.

Ponga’s would want to be better though considering he’s got so much more experience and he’s a career fullback rather than a makeshift one who’s never done a pre-season there.

But yeah, it could come with time. He’s good defensively on the wing now and he used to be ****house, so clearly he works hard.

Thought I’d make a separate thread for him since the rumour is he’s the targeted replacement for KP at fullback if he moves to the halves.

In 14 games at fullback this year:
6 tries
9 try assists
185 running metres per game (4th among fullbacks)

My take on the alleged interest, good and bad points:

+ Would address some common complaints about KP - he’s a much stronger kick returner/yardage worker with a bigger body; very much a classic fullback in that he’s become good at swinging around to provide the extra ball playing option & he backs up well through the middle. No more confusion about roles in the team - KP plays closer to the ball as a half without depriving us of quality fullback play in attack.
+ Career 77% goal kicker. Finally addresses that problem.
+ Most reliable recipe for finding a quality spine player at a discount is taking a punt on a guy who looks the goods & is hungry for a chance who’s stuck behind an established star, therefore who aren’t so proven themselves that they demand a massive payday upfront - most would say Hynes at $600K has turned out to be quite a bargain; Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for a reported $330K a season was an insane bargain. For my money it’s conceivable Garrick is gettable for about a $500K a season, which as I understand it is about double what he’s getting now.
+ By all reports a good kid with his head on straight, good “team culture” guy.
- His main issue as a fullback atm is defensive positioning. That’s the thing which makes it a punt - you’re betting that he’ll get better at it.
- A decent financial outlay on a player who you think might address an issue ASAP (rather than targeting more established/better players available from 2024 onwards) is arguably a very short term, back-the-coach-we-have-now decision. If you want AOB fired really really badly, you might not want the club to do this.
The Knights site says Ponga's Goal kicking average is 80% if true then 77% isn't really addressing anything , Not saying we shouldn't buy him if Ponga moves though .

It’s 80% this year but he’s inconsistent, gets the yips, and I don’t think he actually wants the job full time.

Might be a case of tough titties next year though.

Ponga has the talent to be as good a goal kicker as Cleary & Reynolds. He clearly doesn't apply himself to that trade, probably much like the rest of his game. Unfortunately for Ponga and the club goal kicking can only be improved through time, effort and commitment.

Ponga has the talent to be as good a goal kicker as Cleary & Reynolds. He clearly doesn't apply himself to that trade, probably much like the rest of his game. Unfortunately for Ponga and the club goal kicking can only be improved through time, effort and commitment.

🙄

He's no joey. Doesn't care for the actual game much. Too cool for school character just turning the screws for the mega $$$. Needs a power drill and get them damn screws in faster🤣🤣

He has been asked numerous times if he has put in extra work for his goal kicking and always says no...

Just after a fat pay without the effort, the right club for it is Newcastle

Very reliable source told me today Garrick definitely here in 24 and trying to get released to be here next season, Manly reluctant at this stage to let him go.

Who’s your source? Seems to be different to Toohey’s mail. Battle of the sources.

If things are as bad internally at Manly as being reported then it’s not out of the reams of possibility that he may just want out for a fresh start (and a bit of a pay bump) even if it means staying on the wing, or even moving to centre rather than fullback. Unlikely he’ll just walk into a starting fullback gig elsewhere at this stage. Also a much higher chance of Ponga moving out of fullback permanently in the next few years than Turbo doing the same, if that is his goal.

Ideally you’d like to be in a position to not need to poach established wingers but we don’t have any juniors ready to make that jump now. Vea’ila is the closest but still spent a fair bit of time in u/21’s this year and probably needs some time in reserve grade first. Garrick makes a lot more sense as a replacement for Edrick than Bevan French does, and that’s before you factor in that he’d still be our best goal kicker while blindfolded.

Back