Pearce vs Mullen

Damo Levy

Nathan Ross
Just got to thinking today. There was always talk that Mullen was underrated and would have done well in a better team. This year It seems to me Pearce has done better with arguably a wooden spoon team (if you take himself and Ponga out)

I did think it was funny all the talk about Cleary being solid in origin when he didn’t really do much against a weaker team than both Pearce and Mullen faced in SOS.

I guess it just shows it’s hard to compare players in different teams.

Thoughts?

Mullo is an entirely different player. If Mullo was here right now we would be top 8 with Pearce. Without a doubt in my mind.

I would have loved to have seen Pearce 7 and Mullen 6 play togeather this year.
Pearce is more of a game controller which i think Mullen needed to be great. Sort of like how Blake green has helped Shaun Johnsons game a lot.

They have/had different games but Pearce is a much better player. We're very lucky to have him.
Very debatable. Mullo has carried a spoon worthy side for years. Pearce has had an above average roster. Hard to pick who's the better player. Pearce has definitely had a better career so to speak.

Mullen was a more talented player but Pearce is way more consistent.
Pearce is the better overall player but I loved watching Mullen. They’d of made a bloody good halves pairing though.

Pearce has a better football brain and is a better organiser.
Mullo had more skills and was a better athlete - faster, better defender, bigger range of kicks and more accuracy with his kicks, better long pass.
But overall, if I could only have one, I'd have Pearce for his "game management" skills.

Mullen/Pearce should've been the long term halves pairing for the Blues. Those long passes from Mullo are engrained in my mind.

Pearce has a better football brain and is a better organiser.
Mullo had more skills and was a better athlete - faster, better defender, bigger range of kicks and more accuracy with his kicks, better long pass.
But overall, if I could only have one, I'd have Pearce for his "game management" skills.
Mullen was fast and a great defender however I wouldn’t put him much ahead of Pearce in those regards.

Mullo superior as a five-eight , Pearce superior as a half-back. Overall I would say Mullen was better than Pearce on mullens really good games which was about 1 in every three or four games. I don't think Pearce has had a average game yet so I would have to go Pearce. I wish we got to see them two together.

Mullen was a talent, but overall there's no way you can say he's a better player than Pearce given how their careers went. Mullen will be remembered as an inconsistent, injury prone half who led around an also-rans team, while Pearce will be remembered as a consistently good club level halfback who was part of a very successful Roosters team for many years.

Pearce started the season on fire before an injury derailed his and the sides season.
He is Jarrod Mullen.

Last edited:
Mullen was a talent, but overall there's no way you can say he's a better player than Pearce given how their careers went. Mullen will be remembered as an inconsistent, injury prone half who led around an also-rans team, while Pearce will be remembered as a consistently good club level halfback who was part of a very successful Roosters team for many years.

And a druggo.

Back