Rugby League Immortal Graeme Langlands dies at 76

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Jan 21, 2018.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Graeme 'Changa' Langlands dies at 76

NRL.com
    Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:55 AM

St George Dragons great and rugby league Immortal Graeme Langlands has died in his Sutherland Shire nursing home, aged 76.

The former Kangaroos captain played 45 games for Australia and was a key part of the Dragons' dominant team of the mid-1960s.

Langlands won his first premiership with St George in 1963, playing fullback, and starred for Australia in that year's Kangaroos tour at centre alongside Reg Gasnier.

He won further premierships with the club in 1964, 1965 and 1966.

He captained the Dragons from 1970 to 1976, and led Australia from 1970 to 1975.

Langlands was named rugby league's fifth "Immortal" in 1999, with Wally Lewis named the sixth at the time.

In recent months Langlands had battled dementia and alzheimers and was unable face court on charges of indecent dealing with a girl under 16 over allegations stemming back to the 1980s.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/graeme-changa-langlands-dies-at-76/

2. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Josh Perry

Sad to hear of his passing,more at player, also very sad he has left us with unresolved issues.

3. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Jake Mamo

I saw him play at the end of his career when he was only a shadow of the player he was, particularly the infamous 'white boots' grand final in 1975 the Dragons lost 38-0 against the Roosters - from memory he had a pain killing injection in his ankle that was incorrectly administered and was effectively on one leg for the whole game.

But many good judges I respect, rate him as the best player they had ever seen which is testament to the talent he had and that was supported by being honoured as the 5th Immortal.

What has been sad (and created a huge uproar) has been the lack of response by the Dragons football club on his passing - while I appreciate there are off field matters that were under investigation and serious, it should not have stopped the club from making statements about one of the greatest players to ever wear the red V. Others within the code including commentators, other past players and the NRL all made statements but the Dragons stayed silent and I've heard many of their supporters are up in arms about the way this has been handled.

The other matters aside, he will be remembered as one of the best to ever pull on a boot for his club and his country Vale Changa.

4. rhugh89

The dragons did release a statement, Tribute video titled remembering Graeme Langlands and another interview with Bob Fulton which was on most major news sites

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/22/remembering-graeme-langlands/

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/22/langlands-games-best-all-round-player-fulton/

Vale Graeme Langlands

dragons.com.au
    Sun 21 Jan 2018, 11:15 AM

St George Illawarra are deeply saddened by the passing of Dragons legend and rugby league immortal Graeme Langlands.

Following a long battle with illness, the four-time grand final winning fullback passed away in his sleep on Saturday evening. Langlands was 76.

Born in Wollongong, Langlands first came into rugby league reckoning upon being selected for the New South Wales City Firsts and subsequently NSW firsts thereafter in 1962.

Joining the Dragons in 1963, 'Changa' went on to play 227 games across 14 seasons, and to this day is the most prolific pointscorer in the club's history (1554 points – 86 tries, 648 goals).
    Langlands was also the captain-coach of the Red V in the final five years of his career.

Langlands also made his debut for Australia in 1963 and went on to play 45 Tests – the fourth-most appearances by any player in the Kangaroos' history.

So skilful a player, Langlands spent the first four years of his Test career in the centres.

In 1999, Langlands joined fellow Dragons Johnny Raper and Reg Gasnier as one of rugby league's immortals.

In 2008, the game's centenary, Langlands was selected on the bench in Australian Rugby League's Team of the Century.

He was also awarded a MBE for his contribution to rugby league upon his retirement from the game and inducted into Australia Sport's Hall of Fame in 1986.

Funeral details are yet to be determined and will be communicated at a later date.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/21/vale-graeme-langlands/

Still_Nutty likes this.
  5. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    For mine nuts having watched the Dragons all through their premiership run in the fifties and sixties, I would rate Gasnier first, Raper second and Chang third.

Greatest player a split hair between Churchill and Frenchman Jean Dop. Very difficult to rate players from different eras. Joey from Slater and Smith in the modern era.

6. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    As a Dragons supporter growing up Chang was my idol. Seen him play at Number 1 Sports Ground in rep game. At the end of the game I jumped the fence with autograph book in hand and headed for the Champion fullback. I remember like it was yesterday I asked "excuse me Mr Langland's can I have your autograph ?" He answered "f**k off". I was devastated so I got Ron Coote's instead.

7. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Jake Mamo

Sorry RHugh98...I listened to a radio show on Monday afternoon (Talkin' Sport) and they made a big fanfare about the Club not making any statement or announcement of Changa's passing including comments by one of the Dragons diehard fans, who was a regular caller, stating that nothing had been put out by the club (and she was disgusted by it) - that was my source and I didn't think to doubt it?!

8. rhugh89

All good mate, I think it did take the club a few hours from memory so I think that angered some fans

9. rhugh89

St George Illawarra will pay tribute to Graeme Langlands in their first home game of the season

Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
    January 27, 2018 8:00pm

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s opening home game at Jubilee Oval is set to take on extra importance with the match to coincide with a public tribute to Immortal Graeme Langlands.

The Dragons and the NRL have made plans to honour Langlands when St George Illawarra host the Broncos on March 8 — which doubles as the first game of the NRL season.

“As a rugby league Immortal, who played and coached at the club in a career that spanned 14 seasons, it is appropriate that we provide the opportunity for fans to honour and celebrate the rugby league career of Graeme Langlands at Kogarah,” said Dragons boss Peter Doust.

“He played 227 games, holds the club point scoring record (1554), and as history shows is one of the most gifted rugby league players ever to play the game.”

Langlands died in a Sutherland Shire nursing home aged 76 after suffering from dementia.

His daughter Monique said he battled until the end.

“We are devastated by the loss of Dad,” she said. “He fought to the very end after a very long illness, and it was a battle worthy of any champion.

“Dad was truly complete when playing the game that came so naturally to him and he loved rugby league with all his heart.”

Current Dragons players and coaching staff will be on hand for Langlands’ funeral at Woronora on Monday. It is understood Bob McCarthy, Steve Edge and Carol Raper will be among those to deliver eulogies.

It is unclear if Carol’s husband Johnny — a fellow Immortal — will attend as he battles his own serious health problems.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop said the match at Kogarah was the perfect opportunity to pay tribute to Langlands.

“As St George Illawarra Dragons players, we understand and respect the importance of Graeme Langlands to the club’s history and the legacy he leaves behind,” Widdop said.

“To have our round one game against the Brisbane Broncos in honour of Graeme will certainly be a special occasion for not only Dragons members and supporters but also the players and fans of rugby league in general.”

Fans can leave tribute messages for the Langlands family via the Dragons website this week.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/85727b3433f91017d3065c3f82025de0