Round 10: Newcastle Knights vs Canberra Raiders

What is your prediction for this game ??

• Knights 13+

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Raiders 1-12

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Raiders 13+

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How can Brown not come up with something different after our last 40 minutes ? No worries though we're building towards something special.

Hodko will train with the team, so I assume Brown will pick him over Feeney if he trains better.

Brown didn't sign Paea so I guess he's not in the grand plan so he doesn't want to waste a spot on an old guy who won't be here next year .....

As for Pauli I guess Brown is worried that Pauli can only play 25 mins max so he's worried the others will not be able to carry the extra work load?

I'm only guessing here but I think Pauli might have got a run by now if Burher, Rory and Barnett were fit because they could play bigger minutes and make up for Pauli .....

But will play starling who's on a 1 year deal and surely won't be offered a new contract? Makes sense.......

Sam Mataora doesn't seem to be in brownys plans either he averaged 86m a game last season although not great it's better than starlings 73m a game and pisses all over Stockwells 55m a game, they only decent forward with had is Dan safiti I think Jacob is nearly as effective as Dan when he does run he just doesn't seem to have the work rate that Dan has.

Well guys facts are facts and Pauli, Starling, Stocky, Mataora and Paea do not bring much to the table alas.

Well guys facts are facts and Pauli, Starling, Stocky, Mataora and Paea do not bring much to the table alas.
I still have hopes for pauli if he can get his fitness up he could be a real beast ran 40m in a 8 minute stint in the second half on the weekend, as for the rest I think Mataora has the potential to maybe get up to 100m a game good enough for a bench spot.

Tyrone Amey and Jarmayne Tanoa-Brown have consistently better numbers than Pauli, Mataora and Paea in reserve grade, and our Carlsen award winners for the last 2 years, Pasami Saulo and Matt Croker, are both props who have made every rep side possible. I could see Amey, JTB, Saulo, Croker and maybe big Cam King and Jayden Butterfield all getting a chance to train with firstgrade next off season.

Raiders wary of 'bogey' Knights

Wed 10 May, 2017, 3:55pm
By Alicia Newton‌, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

While both sides finished on opposite ends of the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder last season, it was the Newcastle Knights that put the most amount of pressure on the Canberra Raiders in their two corresponding clashes in 2016.

‌Canberra could only salvage a draw the last time they were in the Hunter after the Knights turned a 16-6 deficit at half-time into a 24-all scoreline with neither side able to slot a field goal in a thrilling finish to the contest.

Ricky Stuart's men were then forced to avoid what would have been an embarrassing loss at home to chase down Newcastle's 22-6 lead at GIO Stadium, with Jordan Rapana scoring the match-winning four-pointer in the final seconds of the first stanza of extra time.

Raiders prop Luke Bateman recalls the great escape in Round 17 and expecting nothing less from an improved Knights line-up almost a year on.

"Last year they finished with the wooden spoon and both times sent us to golden point so we're definitely not expecting an easy game," he said on Wednesday.

"You never expect to beat a team easily or by a number of points but it always seems to be a close game with them.

"They're always tough especially at home so it's going to be hard to head up there and try to get a win."

With Raiders back-rower Josh Papalii missing through suspension, Bateman is expected to play more minutes after a 45-minute stint in the lock forward position against the Bulldogs.

Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer hopes the week off from representative round can spark the side heading into four of their next five games on the road after back-to-back losses to the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs.

"We've come off the back of two tight losses and we're thoroughly disappointed with that," he said.

"It hasn't been up to the Raiders standard we set and pride ourselves on so we'll be ready to rectify that and replicate it at training.

"We base ourselves on effort plays and that hasn't been there. Those things are important and go a long way to winning a game."

The 25-year-old wasn't sure the break came at the right time performance-wise with the side keen to turn recent results around as quickly as possible, however after nine games and three trips to Queensland to start the season, the players were grateful for the extra days away from the game.

"There is still a few niggling injuries hanging around but the staff here are one of the best so we're confident the boys that run out on the field are ready to play," Sezer said.

"It's Round 10 and everyone is getting bumps and bruises. That will only accumulate over the weeks now so hopefully we can keep a healthy squad.

"It's a long week ahead, we probably haven't got into [the Newcastle game] too much yet as we've been assessing the games where we have gone wrong."

Veteran back-rower Iosia Soliola replaces Papalii in the No.11 jumper for the clash with Joey Leilua, Joseph Tapine and Adam Clydsdale all set to take on their former club.

http://www.nrl.com/raiders-wary-of-bogey-knights/tabid/10874/newsid/106607/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back