NSW U16s vs QLD U16s

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by Billy, May 26, 2016.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The final team has been named for the under 16s curtain raiser for SOO.

5/8 Jock Maddern
    halfback Pheonix Crossland
    lock Brock Gardner
    bench prop Tom Baker

are the four Knights in the side.

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

NSW

1. John Paul Nohra (Parramatta Eels)

2. William Kei (Parramatta Eels)
    3. Bronson Xerri (Cronulla Sharks)
    4. Max Lehmann (Manly Sea Eagles)
    5. Cliff Lea’aetoa (Parramatta Eels)
    6. Jock Madden (Newcastle Knights)
    7. Pheonix Crossland (Newcastle Knights)

8. Mathew Dragisic (Canberra Raiders)
    9. Kyle Schneider (Parramatta Eels)
    10. Franklin Pele (Cronulla Sharks)
    11. Shawn Blore (Penrith Panthers)
    12. Mateo Tatola (Balmain Tigers)
    13. Brock Gardner (Newcastle Knights)

14. Isaac Longmuir (Cronulla Sharks)
    15. Tom Baker (Newcastle Knights)
    16. Lindsay Smith (Penrith Panthers)
    17. Egan Butcher (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
    18. Harry Duggan (Parramatta Eels)

Head Coach: Brad Fittler

Assistant Coach: Mark O’Meley

QLD (Alphabetical)

McKenzie Baker (Townsville Blackhawks)
    Tanah Boyd (Gold Coast White)
    Geordie Brand (Souths Logan Magpies)
    Ethan Bullemor (Norths Devils)
    Blake Campbell (Gold Coast Green)
    Tino Faasuamaleaui (Central Qld Crows)
    David Fifita (Souths Logan Magpies)
    Thomas Gilbert (Norths Devils)
    Zachary McCormack (Gold Coast Green)
    Cory Paix (Toowoomba Clydesdales)
    Jack Paterson (Norths Devils)
    Dejzha Pene (Norths Devils)
    Ioane Seiuli (Souths Logan Magpies)
    Jonathan Siofele (Souths Logan Magpies)
    Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters)
    Lazeryth Su’a (Gold Coast White)
    Hamilton Taia (Townsville Blackhawks)

Sebastian Winters-Chang (Souths Logan Magpies)

Coach: Kurt Richards

3. rhugh89

Freddy's U-16s Origin Verdict

Sun 29th May, 09:00AM

Brad Fittler sat down after just one training session to talk about each member of the under-16s NSW Origin squad individually.

1. John Paul Nohra (Parramatta Eels)

He’s a real mature fullback and a leader amongst the boys at the moment. He was Parramatta’s best player this year, a definite leader amongst that team too.

2. William Kei (Parramatta Eels)

He’s an athlete and very fast. Cliff on the other wing is a bit of a lunatic while Will is the sensible one, so I think if we can get him some space he can do some real damage.

3. Bronson Xerri (Cronulla Sharks)

Bronson is from a football family, his older brother played in the lower grades for Cronulla, and he’s just a big strong kid at the moment, I think he’s got a huge future in the game.

4. Max Lehmann (Manly Sea Eagles)

Max is a real talent that pays centre, and he reminds me of a player like like a Michael O’Connor, very fleet footed, fast and exciting. Hopefully we could get him the ball in his hands as much as possible.

5. Cliff Lea’aetoa (Parramatta Eels)

He’s just strong, a very strong runner, he scored the most tries this year by a long way. If he can concentrate for long enough he can definitely get over the line.

6. Jock Madden (Newcastle Knights)

Jock is a real serious sort of bloke, he’s little, he’s tough, he just gets the job done. If the opposition start thinking about everyone else, he has the ability to score from a show-and-go.

7. Pheonix Crossland (Newcastle Knights)

He’s a bit of a shining light up in Newcastle, a very talented kid that is a great kicker. He is just an all round footballer so hopefully this is just a stepping-stone for bigger things.

8. Mathew Dragisic (Canberra Raiders)

Quite an interesting fella from down in Canberra, from an interesting gene pool, he’s a bit of everything. But he’s very skilful, knows his job, and a hard worker.

9. Kyle Schneider (Parramatta Eels)

Kyle is a real shining light from the Central Coast. He played for Parramatta and can cover hooker, five-eighth, and lock. He is super competitive, super fit, and a real leader amongst the boys.

10. Franklin Pele (Cronulla Sharks)

He’s just a big strong kid with plenty of skill that sort of reminds me of Andrew Fifita. They have the same style of play, not just running the ball up.

11. Shawn Blore (Penrith Panthers)

A very talented back rower that’s big and strong, probably the best player coming through the grades as a kid so it’s time for him now to go to the next level.

12. Mateo Tatola (Balmain Tigers)

Interesting kid, just a livewire that has got plenty of footy in him. I don’t know where his footy will end from the point of view of what position he will play in the future, but he’s a real tough competitor, a really good defender with a good technique and style.

13. Brock Gardner (Newcastle Knights)

Brock just does everything a 100 miles an hour. Somehow we’ve got to calm him down but he’s very effective.

14. Isaac Longmuir (Cronulla Sharks)

Super skilful kid, he’ll get on early. He has a great pass, a really good footballer, and looks like he’s been playing footy since he was about two-months-old.

15. Tom Baker (Newcastle Knights)

Tom is a big gangly Newcastle Knights player that didn’t play much of the season but was probably one of the best players in the finals series.

16. Lindsay Smith (Penrith Panthers)

Really skilful front rower, not as big as some of the other blokes but he has plenty of footy in him and he’s super reliable.

17. Egan Butcher (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Egan is also from a footy family. His brother Nat Butcher plays for the Roosters under-20s, once again can play in several positions, very skilful and can cover and also be effective as a lock or a back rower.

18. Harry Duggan (Parramatta Eels)

Big country strong front rower, had a great season for Parramatta, they lost their best player who was like 115kg front rower, and big Harry came out and carried the side for the whole season and they ended up winning the National Championship by 30 points, he was brilliant.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/05/29/freddy_s_u_16s_origi.html

4. Billy

Those are really good assessments - especially the one of Jock Maddern.
    I admit I didn't even notice Jock in the first few games I watched this year - taking far more notice of Crossland, who is a big, athletic half with a great kicking game who really stands out, but after a while you notice that the guy who is doing the organising and spotting the weaknesses in the opposition is little Jock, quietly scheming away in the background, and calling for the ball when things get real. They should make a good combination over time.

5. rhugh89

PREVIEW | NSW U-16s v Qld U-16s

Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton22)
    Wed 1st June, 06:00AMA A

[​IMG]HUNTER BOYS: The Newcastle Knights combinations are ready to take on Queensland.

The NSW under-16s State of Origin side are just hours away from their all-important clash with their Queensland counterparts, which will take place at 5:50pm at ANZ Stadium prior to the main game.

Be sure to watch the future of the NSW Blues play in the match tonight on our live stream.

The Parramatta Eels won the Harold Matthews Cup and the National Champions in 2016, and their efforts were rewarded with five players selected in the Blues squad.

Those players include John Paul Nohra, William Kei, Cliff Lea’aetoa, Harry Duggan, and skipper Kyle Schneider.

Schneider was the man of the match in their Grand Final, while Nohra led from the front all year, including an amazing performance in their National Championship demolition of the Townsville Blackhawks.

The halves pairing are an already established combination from Newcastle, made up by Jock Madden and Pheonix Crossland.

Madden was described by coach Brad Fittler as a tough and serious player who never fails to get the job done, while Crossland is a very complete player with lots of potential that is a shining light up in Newcastle.

Along with the halves, another Newcastle junior in Brock Gardner will lock-up the scrum, and he is a very effective and hyperactive player that will sure to always be in the face of his Queensland opponents.

Tom Baker hopes to carry his scintillating finals-series form into this game, and Isaac Longmuir, Lindsay Smith and Egan Butcher join him as a part of an extremely reliable bench that will certainly bring some explosive impact into the match.

Bronson Xerri and Max Lehmann make up an exciting centre pairing, and Fittler hopes they see as much ball as possible, along with the Eels’ wingers in Kei and Lea’aetoa.

Fittler, as well as experienced former NRL stars such as Mark O’Meley, Mark “Spud” Carroll, Paul Sironen and Jamie Feeney have been preparing them for years in pathways camps, focusing equally on welfare and education as well as their Rugby League.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/06/01/preview_nsw_u_16s_v_.html

6. Billy

7. Billy

broadcast has started - very good quality stream

8. Billy

boys are looking OK
    good game so far

- - - Updated - - -

6-0 to nsw

- - - Updated - - -

halftime 6-0 to nsw
    very fast game - got a bit scrappy at the end, but none of these kids would have played at that pace before.

9. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Great stream, pity the NRL app wasn't as good....thanks for the link [MENTION=243]Billy[/MENTION].:)

10. Billy

good win
    Madden kicked the winning goal from the sideline and set up the winning try.

Crossland did several good kicks and found grass most times. He also had the best Qld forward, Fifita, running at him all game, and mostly contained him.

Gardner did some good runs but didn't get much game time.

Big Tom Baker looked the hardest running NSW forward and he looks a real good style of player - tall and rangy - but he only had short minutes on the field.

12-10 to NSW

11. rhugh89

12. Billy

Madden deserved MOTM, but i'm more impressed with what I saw from Crossland.
    Madden's kicking game was pretty much just high, floating bombs that the fullback didn't have much trouble with, but Crossland showed a variety of kicks that mostly found grass and had the fullback working pretty hard to clean them up.
    Neither got many kicks close to the line, and both are decent at that (from the H Mats games).
    In defence, Madden did good for a little guy, but Crossland defended like a forward on some of the best qld forwards.
    In short, Madden is the better player for now, because he is so organised and focused, but Crossland has a lot of good qualities that he will improve on - size, athleticism, ball skills - just needs a bit more experience I think.
    Not that Madden won't improve a lot too. He reminds me a lot of Luke Walsh in the way he is very focused on playing professionally and getting everything right at a very young age.

13. newy guy29

newy guy29 Glen Frendo

real eastate
    I'm as big a Newcastle supporter there is, but what I dislike is people patronising players & giving credit where its not due, Congratulations to the Knights boys who represented Nsw in the u16s origin match, each kid did well not only did they represent the club but the families as well and they should all be proud. Jocks high kicks were good but a kick is only as good as its chase, jock is quiet small and I worried about him in defence and will he grow, jocks conversation from the sideline I thought was his highlight of the game, he ran the ball once and lost it. As for Crossland I thought some of his kicks were good and others not so good, but I thought he asked more questions of the defence, he organised well and his passing game was crisp, needs to run more, Qld Fifita run straight though both Crosslands & Gardiners defence last night lucky for the full back who cleaned up the mess but at this level or even higher you cant afford to be a turnstil, Crossland did hower improve his defence the rest of the game.. If I was to pick a half right here right now I would pick Crossland all day every day, all round at everything better than Madden.. As these kids get older they will get better. I thought the fullback Norah, Mateo back row, Schneider hooker, Crossland half, xerri centre all were in contention for man of the match.. Only my opinion though. Good luck boys keep working hard on development

14. rhugh89