NRL rocked by drugs allegations

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by Beatell, May 6, 2017.

1. Beatell

Beatell Matt White

Proctor and Bromwich may have been caught buying drugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Lol, after all our issues with drugs no chance skd is still a target.

3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
  4. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor caught up in Canberra drug bust

Peter Badel, News Corp Australia Network
    May 6, 2017 3:01pm

THE NRL has been rocked by another drugs scandal following allegations Kiwi Test stars Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor purchased cocaine after last night’s Anzac Test.

The NRL integrity unit is set to begin investigations into explosive claims Storm prop Bromwich and Titans co-captain Proctor dabbled in drugs after the Kiwis’ 30-12 loss to Australia last night.

A Canberra man has appeared in court today after allegedly selling cocaine to two high-profile rugby league players after the Anzac Test.

Kiwis captain Bromwich and back-rower Proctor allegedly joined Canberra man Adrian Mark Crowther in Canberra’s city centre.

The court heard police observed Crowther on CCTV video preparing a white powder on his phone, before handing it to Bromwich and Proctor, who rolled up bank notes and consumed the substance.

While both players were named in court, neither has been charged with an offence.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley was stunned by the revelations when contacted today by The Courier-Mail.

“I’ve only just been notified of this,” Annesley said. “The information we have at this stage is very sketchy.

“I’ve been in touch with the NRL integrity unit and I am awaiting more information on this alleged incident. I have no further comment at this stage.”

Proctor only joined the Titans this season after a successful stint at the Storm, where he won a premiership with Bromwich.

The Kiwi back-rower was appointed Titans co-captain in February but could be stripped of the leadership role if allegations of purchasing cocaine are proven.

The development comes just hours after Cronulla Chairman Damian Keogh stood down today over allegations of drug possession in a dark day for rugby league.

Storm took to their social media channels to make a brief statement.

“Melbourne Storm is aware of an allegation against one of its players. The Club is currently making endeavours to speak to the player and the NRL and will provide an update when appropriate.

“Until that point, the Club will not make further comment.”

The NRL released a statement on Saturday afternoon saying the Integrity Unit would work with “all the parties involved to understand the nature of the allegations and what consequences may flow under the NRL rules if the allegations are determined to be accurate.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said: “The Game has taken steps over many years to highlight the risks associated with the use of illicit drugs.

“We will continue that work but ultimately individuals are accountable for their own choices, and the League’s capacity to eliminate the use of illicit drugs by its participants faces similar challenges to that faced by society.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/5afe89c9ea0f9f6b6bf33b1e28ced08e

5. rhugh89

Cronulla Sharks Chairman Damian Keogh forced to stand down over drug arrest

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
    42 minutes ago

CRONULLA chairman Damian Keogh has been forced to stand down from his role at the Sharks.

The Daily Telegraph understands Keogh handed in his resignation this morning over an incident on Friday night.

Police have charged Keogh for possessing a prohibited drug after he was found with a bag of white powder at a Woolloomooloo venue last night.

In a horror 48 hours for the NRL, New Zealand players Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor are being investigated for allegedly purchased cocaine following Friday’s Test and Rooster Shaun Kenny-Dowell was also allegedly caught in possession of the drug on at the Ivy nightclub in Sydney on Thursday.

Keogh was searched by police at the Bourke St licensed premises about 7.50pm when officers found a small plastic resealable bag of a substance believed to be cocaine.

He was charged with possessing a prohibited drug and issued with a future court attendance notice to appear at Downing Centre Local Court in June.

The Sharks issued a statement confirming Keogh had stepped aside in his role to allow him to address the allegations, “given the challenging personal nature of this matter, Damian is not currently available for comment.”

Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman said Keogh was distressed by the incident.

“He expressed great remorse to me that he had let me down personally,” Gorman told reporters.

Gorman said he had spoken to Keogh several times on Saturday.

“He’s very distressed about potential outcomes and the impact on the game, the club and his family,” Gorman said.

“There’s a whole lot of challenging things to be worked on through here.

“Clearly these things aren’t great for the club or the game but let’s be clear these are allegations.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg confirmed knowledge of the incident.

“We are aware of an incident which involves the Sharks Chairman. We are awaiting further details from the Sharks about what has occurred,” Greenberg said.

On Saturday afternoon the NRL issued a statement and the NRL Integrity Unit would be investigating the matter.

“The game has taken steps over many years to highlight the risks associated with the use of illicit drugs,” Greenberg said in the statement.

“We will continue that work but ultimately individuals are accountable for their own choices, and the League’s capacity to eliminate the use of illicit drugs by its participants faces similar challenges to that faced by society.”

When contacted this morning, Keogh declined to comment for legal reasons.

Keogh, a former Australian basketball star who made three Olympic Games teams, took over at the Sharks during the supplements scandal in 2013. He was voted onto the board after the infamous ASADA press conference and helped rebuild the struggling club from wooden spooners to premiership winners last season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/6f7195ddd1cc6d5bc5387caa6ac87496

6. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Morons. This game has the dumbest players I swear.

MisterLevy likes this.
  7. member 2299

Retired
    All games Matty. For instances the AFL buries heirs deep with this silly three strikes rule.

Applies also in RU with players caught in possession in France and all codes caught up with coke on the Gold Coast. Young folk take to these drugs the way we used to attack the odd schooner or six Matty.

8. rhugh89

Statement from Kevin Proctor

Sun 7th May, 03:09PM

I have asked Graham (Annesley) to say how extremely embarrassed and sorry I am for the damage I’ve done to the game and my personal reputation since Friday night’s Test match in Canberra.

After the game we went back to the New Zealand team hotel and had a late dinner. After the dinner we went to a local club to have a few drinks.

The rest of the night is a bit of a blur as I obviously had too much to drink before the incident that has caused all the trouble happened much later in the night.

Although I can’t remember exactly what happened, I don’t deny it.

I am devastated by the whole thing and can’t apologise enough to my Kiwi team mates, the NRL, the Titans, and all fans of the game.

I’ve never been in this sort of trouble in my career, I have never failed a drug test, and I’m so sorry I’ve let everyone down by losing control of my personal decisions by drinking too much alcohol.

I have a wife and young family, and taking drugs is not something I support or encourage because I am very aware of the damage it can do.

Even though I have to appear before the Board later in the week, I’ve already decided to stand-down as club co-captain, and also stand-down from playing, until the Board makes a final decision.

I accept that there will be further punishment from my club and the NRL, and I just want to put this all behind me as quickly as possible and prove I can make it up to everyone.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2017/05/07/statement_from_kevin.html

9. rhugh89

Media Statement - Kevin Proctor

Sun 7th May, 02:30PM

Kevin Proctor, has this morning met with Gold Coast Titans Chief Executive Officer, Graham Annesley, and Board Deputy Chairman, Darryl Kelly, to discuss the incident that occurred in the early hours of yesterday morning following Friday night’s Test Match in Canberra where Kevin was representing the New Zealand Kiwis.

It is important to note this was not a disciplinary hearing, as there is a process spelt out under the terms of the NRL Standard Playing Contract for dealing with alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct.

Today’s meeting was requested to establish more information and give Kevin the opportunity to explain his actions.

The attached statement clearly demonstrates Kevin’s embarrassment and contrition for what has occurred and the damage it has caused.

His voluntary actions in standing down from his captaincy and playing duties until the matter has been resolved by the Board speaks volumes for his personal character despite this very much out of character incident.

That said, everyone in the game is accountable for their actions and Kevin was this morning advised he will be issued with a Breach Notice in compliance with the terms of his contract providing five business days’ notice to appear before the Board to determine any other action or sanction to be imposed as a result of the alleged breach.

The Breach Notice process will take its course of the coming days, but in the meantime Titans Chief Executive, Graham Annesley, also intends raising with the NRL the issue of supervision of players whilst away from their clubs on representative duties.

Due to Kevin’s high level of stress and anxiety about the consequence of his actions, we are of course providing him with the best possible welfare and support to ensure his general well-being is the overriding priority.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2017/05/07/media_statement_kevi.html

10. rhugh89

Melbourne Storm and Jesse Bromwich statements

melbournestorm.com.au
    Sun 7th May, 04:23PM

Melbourne Storm statement from CEO Dave Donaghy

Earlier today, our Football Director Frank Ponissi and I spoke to Jesse Bromwich regarding a matter that took place following the ANZAC Test in Canberra on Friday night.

Jesse was extremely remorseful for putting himself in a position of risk that has obviously had an impact on his Club – despite being on international duties.

He is genuinely disappointed by his poor choices and he’s accepted a number of sanctions that have been imposed upon him by the Cub for breaching our code of conduct.

Melbourne Storm has extremely high standards and we make no apologies for that – this has been a tough lesson for Jesse.

In handing down these sanctions Melbourne Storm has consulted Jesse’s management, the RLPA and the NRL Integrity Unit.

The sanctions are as follows:

- Jesse will be stood down for two games – he won’t be available for selection until Round 13

- Jesse will donate his ANZAC Test match fee to a selected charity

- Jesse has stood aside from the Storm leadership group and I believe has informed New Zealand of his intention to step down as the Kiwis’ captain

- Jesse will be required to undergo a number of counselling and treatment courses

Jesse had the opportunity to front the board regarding this matter, however, he’s chosen to waive this and accept the sanction.

Jesse is a terrific person, this is out of character and he’s incredibly disappointed in himself, however he will learn from it and we will continue to support him and his family.

Statement from Jesse Bromwich

I’d like to start by firstly apologising to my family, Melbourne Storm, New Zealand Rugby League, the NRL, my teammates, the sponsors, and the members and fans.

I regret making the choice of staying out with my teammates until the early hours of Saturday morning, as well as consuming an excessive amount of alcohol.

I take full responsibility for the poor choices I made, I am devastated and my actions were out of character.

Playing footy for Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis is a great honour and I apologise for letting down everyone involved in both organisations.

I will be stepping down from my leadership roles with Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis, I understand I am a role model to the young players and the poor choices I made do not reflect my personal values.

I fully accept the sanctions that have been handed down.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2017/05/07/melbourne_storm_and_.html

11. member 2299

Retired
    Welfare blah. more strict supervision blah. They are men and make their own life choices and this time the choices were dumb!

12. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

They need to be tested straight away IMO. Cocaine is illegal isn't it. So what the bloody difference between these guys and mullo. If positive they should be suspended also. The game needs to stand up and ACT like men. If we are serious they get the same punishment. They will soon learn that once positive you are GONE!

rhugh89 likes this.
  13. rhugh89

Agreed, Come down hard and they will think twice about doing it

Unfortunately the entire game's reputation gets dragged through the mud because of the stupid decisions of these players

They are adults and they make their own choices

14. rhugh89

Bromwich, Proctor out of World Cup

Mon 08 May, 2017, 3:30pm
    ‌‌‌NRL.com

Kiwis pair Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor have been ruled out of the season-ending 2017 Rugby League World Cup, with the New Zealand Rugby League announcing both players won't be considered for selection following an off-field incident in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Bromwich has been suspended for two weeks by his club side the Melbourne Storm and has also been removed from the club's leadership group, while Proctor has stood down as co-captain of the TItans, with further sanctions yet to be determined.

Kiwis coach David Kidwell said via a NZRL statement it was crucial the national side upheld their values.

"I can't express my disappointment enough in their actions in the early hours of Saturday morning," Kidwell said.

"We have values to upload, they have broken my trust, their teammates' trust and the trust of the New Zealand public.

"In our Te Iwi Kiwi house, no one is bigger than the team.

"Now we move forward and focus on the Rugby League World Cup."

Kidwell's decision was supported by NZRL CEO Alex Hayton, who added: "NZRL and the Kiwis will continue to work hard to ensure the people of New Zealand are proud to support our teams both on and off the field."

http://www.nrl.com/bromwich-proctor-out-of-world-cup/tabid/10874/newsid/106521/default.aspx

Tasgirl likes this.
  15. rhugh89

16. rhugh89

Club Statement

Mon 8th May, 06:45PM

Our Club has been made aware that Jesse Savage, a member of the Under 20s NYC squad, has been issued a court appearance notice for alleged possession of an illegal substance.

Jesse has been stood down from training and playing commitments until further notice and the matter has been referred to the NRL Integrity Unit.

Due to the player welfare issues relating to this matter neither the Club or the player will be making further comment.

http://www.sharks.com.au/news/2017/05/08/club_statement.html

17. member 2299

Retired
    Player welfare blah blah blah. He is twenty and does he not know right from wrong?

18. rhugh89

Titans suspend Proctor for four matches

Wed 10 May, 2017, 1:07pm
    ‌‌‌NRL.com

Gold Coast Titans forward Kevin Proctor has been suspended for four matches by the club.

Proctor has also been fined $20,000 and been instructed to undertake 50 hours of community service as part of a drug and alcohol prevention program after an incident following Friday's Australia v New Zealand Test match in Canberra.

"The Board has taken a strong stance with Kevin despite his four-match suspension potentially damaging the club's prospects over the coming month as we seek to remain in finals contention," Titans CEO Graham Annesley said.

"He has also let his teammates down, and seriously disappointed our members and commercial partners.

"Of course, as a football club our priority is to win as many games as possible, but if we all have to suffer some pain in order to drive the message home, then so be it.

"We take our responsibility to the community seriously and we will not walk away from tough decisions just to increase our chances of on-field success."

http://www.nrl.com/titans-suspend-proctor-for-four-matches/tabid/10874/newsid/106592/default.aspx

19. rhugh89

Infinity Group Australia withdraws Sharks, Roosters sponsorship deal

EXCLUSIVE Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
    18 minutes ago

THE NRL’s cocaine scandal has cost the Cronulla Sharks and the Sydney Roosters more tha $1 million in sponsorship.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Infinity Group Australia has informed the management of both clubs this morning that they are withdrawing their support.

The Sharks have been rocked by chairman Damian Keogh’s cocaine possession charges and the Roosters by Shaun Kenny-Dowall facing similar charges.

Infinity is a sponsor on the back of the Sharks jersey and was to spend $700,000 over the next two years.

The company also sponsors the Roosters for around $150,000.

The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from Infinity and the two clubs.

Infinity used to sponsor the Parramatta Eels but pulled out over the club’s salary cap scandal.

Keogh resigned as Sharks chairman after being charged last Friday night.

Cronulla Under 20s player Jesse Savage was also charged with possessing 1.4g of white powder, believed to be cocaine.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/12584f69de65d37eb7bb7fa20c003907