New junior back rower for next season (Jersey Flegg)

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Still_Nutty, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Kade Snowden

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/09/25/knights-recruit-crowned-colts-man-of-the-match/

The nib Newcastle Knights have signed the man of the match from the inaugural Hasting Deering Colts premiership.

Nesta Watene starred for North Devils in their 20-16 grand final victory over Townsville Blackhawks.

The backrower is only 18 but a shining light in the Queensland 20s competition this season.

He joins the Knights in 2019 where he will play Jersey Flegg.

Knights Player List Manager Troy Pezet said the Auckland product is performing beyond his years.

"We're excited for Nesta Watene," Pezet said.

"He's 18 years old and won the Man of the Match in the Hasting Deering Colts Under 20s Grand Final on Sunday."

Not only did Watene score a try from a grubber kick but he also helped set one up with some slick passing.

The hard-running edge signed a two-year-deal with the Knights which keeps him at the Club until the end of 2020.

NORTHS DEVILS 20 (Joseph McGuire, Nesta Watene, Liam Horne, David Fauid tries; Gerome Burns 2 goals) def TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 16 (Duarne Dempsey, Tom McCagh, Ben Condon tries; Adam Cook 2 goals) at Suncorp Stadium (Halftime: Norths 16-12)
    Man of the Match: Nesta Watene (Norths Devils)

Up and comer for the junior ranks

2. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Kade Snowden

Any insights into the new Flegg signing - Nesta Watene @Billy ?

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Sometimes I can tell if I'm impressed by a player after I've seen them play 1 game, but 1 photo would be a stretch. He does look a well put together young forward though.

4. Billy

I can say that all our recruits this year were fantastic - a few like Fermor and To'a are top class - but we had about 7 or 8 young new Zealanders and qld's who were all top shelf.
    Mooney and/or Pezet are top at the job.

Defender1 likes this.
  5. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

So Brodie Jones to play isp? How olds kurtis dark? He still eligible for 20s or not?

6. Billy

His younger brother could.
    Dark is too old for 20s next year, along with Cooper, Loughrey, Saulo, Musgrove, Jones, Starling, Gibbs, Momoisea, Fermor, Alifa. Andrews,
    I'm not sure about Russell, but guys who can play 20s are Hoy, Croker, Talty, Rasiga, To'a, Worley, Crossland, Huth, Puru, and a heap of good players from under 18s this year - Harry Croker and Joel Dark are 2 with big shoes to fill.

7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

Looks like this kid has a very good frame for rugby league.

Looking forward to watching him come through.

8. Rob

Rob Ben Rogers

Are we developing our young blokes physically early enough?