Knights Salary Cap

We need to spend the salary cap, but from now on we should only spend it on really outstanding players.
I've thought all along that we should only be spending on top line players, but you have to acknowledge that our recruiters have tried to attract the best, and haven't been able to get them across the line, so they have had to settle for young guys with good potential and some old guys who hopefully still have a few miles on the clock.
The salary cap we have left should be spent on SOO standard players like Pearce, or we are just spending it to boost reserve grade really.

Billy, I agree with most of what you say, we need to spend the remaining Cap on Senior Players which meet our profile search , we ( The Knights Recruitment department ) have invested in a relatively well balanced roster with Potential and Experience. Contrary to your comment about "old Guys", Our newly acquired Heighington, Lillyman and Guerra ( unless you have someone else in mind ) have all played rep at the highest level as late as this year so they are far from a spent force and will give more than a normal account for themselves so I would not be too concerned.

Analysing the players who were reported to have knocked back advances by the Knights (Cooper Cronk, James Maloney and Matt Scott) it is evident that the Knights are chasing more experienced and senior players to lead the side, like it or not Pearce is the next available Player who meets that profile and a " Big play" needs to be made for him if they are serious.

There is no way anyone should be forced to spend on Reserve grade players just to absorb the Cap , if anything buy better than you have currently in key FG spots to increase depth.

There is no way anyone should be forced to spend on Reserve grade players just to absorb the Cap , if anything buy better than you have currently in key FG spots to increase depth.

Bringing in players that upset the balance of the team which has been put together with a clear plan ahead isn't a wise way to spent the rest of the cap.

Cronk coming in and disrupting a Roosters squad which by all accounts was extremely well balanced and successful over a long period is a clear reflection of the perils of chasing instant results.

Yes, of course Pearce is a valuable and experienced player that would add to the development of the playmakers, but why upset the proverbial apple cart for a short term gain in lieu of a long term investment in our young spine?

A world-class centre would be a fair better investment at this moment in time.

In any normal case, a club would be spending most of its cap & if they came up a bit short, they would quickly sign a bit of depth or upgrade someone. Being under the minimum cap by over a million dollars is not a normal situation for this rule. Yes there are good reasons we had to do it, but it is our fault entirely if we are forced to sign a million dollars worth of reserve graders. The salary cap is for player salaries, you can't just keep a million back effectively paying your players less than everyone else. That's not why we are doing it of course, but that's what the rule is there to make sure of.

We are no chance of getting fined. Thats a media beatup.

We have an age now to spend it before we get fined. And can front load anyway so no chance we get fined.

I believe since brown/mooney came in we have recruited very nicely.

Now we need to add to the great base of a squad we have with a sprinkling of real class.

Ive said before I dont want pearce here and I honestly still dont. I cant wait to see how lamb and watson go together next year.

Id be buying a class centre and an absolute gun prop if possible.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

We have an age now to spend it before we get fined. And can front load anyway so no chance we get fined.

Now we need to add to the great base of a squad we have with a sprinkling of real class.

Ive said before I dont want pearce here and I honestly still dont. I cant wait to see how lamb and watson go together next year.

Exactly slow news day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we get "fined" it will mean the NRL keeps the money they would have paid the players since salary for players comes from the NRL under the new arrangements - so who gives a ****.

Loved his pot shot at Bennett as well.

Bennett's biggest mistake to me was bringing in Boyd who was a fake marquee signing, otherwise I could have lived with the other questionable choices, but Gardner is definately right because he knows Wests are here to stay and not going anywhere.

Yeah as it has been mentioned before players will come available. Up until the off-season there was next to nothing on Cronk other then clubs publicly being interested but now that's triggered the chain reaction of where Pearce could go. As it showed earlier this year with player transfers anything could happen and at least we are ready.

Phil Gardner's comments in the Herald seem bang on and have my confidence that they'll do the right thing by the club in regards to managing the salary cap. Good to see he acknowledge Mooney had done a great job up until now as well.

Can anybody link to this news piece as I can't seem to find it. What did he say?

from a spent force and will give more than a normal account for themselves so I would not be too concerned.
Bennett's biggest mistake to me was bringing in Boyd who was a fake marquee signing, otherwise I could have lived with the other questionable choices, but Gardner is definately right because he knows Wests are here to stay and not going anywhere.

Craig Gower anyone?

Such a damn waste moving Gidley from fullback, that Boyd cash could've been spent pretty much anywhere else.

In all honesty I'd rather go out on a gun center if one becomes available.

Having thought about it, Pearce comes across as having as much brains as a bag of sawdust and is a loose cannon even up to 2 years ago.

Is he really what we need.

Would much rather if one becomes available pick up another Moga.

Either that or just front load some deals and go large next year, because lets be honest we aren't winning a comp in the next year or two.

Lordie, you say a "gun centre" is what is needed while this may be important I don't see it as crucial, as left side is usually an attacking weapon and generally right side is defensively orientated , Moga is an intimidating monster of a man, what role do you have him playing?

If you have him right edge then you need a speedy, Jennings style Centre on the left to compliment the attacking plays , if you play Moga on the Left then you need another big defensive body with a left to right hand passing game on the right.

I think Pearce has more brains than he is given credit for ( at this in your assessment) maybe a little loose on the "Grog" which is where most of his problems lie ( and honestly he is not alone here ), but rumour has it that he is intelligent enough to have taken steps to remedy this with a "buddhist slant on life " maybe lifestyle change to the Country will also assist his personal development - that can't be bad for us, can it ?

" Front loading deals " has more problems than are first apparent the biggest would be personal tax issues 50% disappears straight away , the second would be adjusting to a decreasing income in the following years - might come in handy if you want to put a deposit on a house, but if it was that easy everyone would be doing it already - on reflection, some Clubs might actually have twigged to this already.

Moga will terrorise opposition, threatening to tear 'em a new one if they get in his way! Sadly Gags, Pete, Sio and Elliott did not offer much the last two years.

Hell yes, getting the ball out wide early on the back of some solid hit-ups and quick play the balls should see him in open space more often than not.

Predicting a lot of points coming down his edge of the paddock.

Such a damn waste moving Gidley from fullback, that Boyd cash could've been spent pretty much anywhere else.

Gidley aside from Slater was up there with the best in the comp too, $600k for Boyd too.

Bennett was laughably bad with his efforts with us.

Take out Bedsy we were bottom 4 each year for sure.

Yep. The signing of particularly Boyd was nothing short of a joke, the team was weaker for having him there in place of Gidley.

While Gidley was never blessed with the marquee-quality talent of many other players, he showed that hard work and never giving up could be as equally valuable.
The best footy I recall him playing was at the back or off the bench, not in the halves where he was forced to go.

Every club Bennett left was in worse shape roster-wise, without consideration of long-term development or recruitment strategies. All of the following coaches suffered for it and felt the axe shortly after.
Brisbane was luckier than the Dragons and Knights in the fact they maintained enough experienced and talented players to be competitive when he first left.

Back