Knights extend the contract of coach Nathan Brown

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Oct 9, 2017.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

KNIGHTS TO EXTEND BROWN

Fairfax Media reports Newcastle are set to extend the contract of coach Nathan Brown for a further two years, until the end of 2020.

The deal, which will be struck by club new owners Wests Group, will include performance indicators.

“The key for us is the head coach, getting him sorted out for the next period of time,” Wests chief executive Phil Gardner said.

“I think we’re keen to sign him on those performance conditions and get him extended for another two more seasons. Then we can offer some certainty for the players we’re trying to attract.

“It’s very hard to say to the players: ‘He’s only signed for one more year but we’d like you to sign for three or five’.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/b9cc974f37e886b5fd2fdc6d7ff8ab51

Lefty likes this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Gardner said similar on the day the agreement was formalised. Browny was always on for an extension after supporting the take over.

3. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Super interested to see the performance indicators.

I think it will be top 6 finish 2019 or something

4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Hopefully we will get to see them. But in the end Brown is the right coach for us at the moment and hopefully if results continue, in to the future.

Lefty likes this.
  5. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

BROWN’S REVOLUTIONARY NEW DEAL

Newcastle are set to revolutionise the way contracts are done.

First it was Mitchell Pearce’s deal filled with a series of performance based triggers and now coach Nathan Brown is on the verge of signing a similar deal.

Off-contract at the end of this season, Knights chief executive Phil Gardner revealed to Market Watch negotiations with the coach are well advanced, with performance clauses a focal point of the deal.

“We’re in negotiation with Nathan and his management and we expect to have his contract renewed soon,” Gardner told Market Watch.

“We’re hoping we’ll have it done by the end of March.

“Coming off three wooden spoons it needs to be a performance-based contract, so there’s a fair bit of negotiation with how that sits … and what the performance criteria is.

“Nathan wants to stay, we want him to stay. It’s just a matter of getting all the T’s crossed and I’s dotted.”

Market Watch can also reveal the Knights are leaning towards a three-year extension, which would tie Brown to the club until the end of 2021 depending on results.

While Gardner is hoping to have the deal finalised within the next four weeks, there’s no hurry or consideration that the team’s start to the 2018 season will impact on negotiations.

Gardner admits there’s “a fair bit for us to negotiate,” with the deal the first of it’s kind, where triggers will see the coach rewarded for success in terms of ladder position and finals matches - as opposed to a set salary.

“It certainly is a new era for this,” he said.

“The better we perform, the more people are coming through the gates and the more revenue will be there, the players and coaches should benefit from that and the converse needs to be true.

“If we don’t get the performance we get the impacts on the bottom line and that needs to follow through to them as well.

“I think you’ll see more of it, particularly the long-term contracts some players are signing.

“… It’s a much more complex environment for signing players and coaches than it has been in the past.”

Brown is in the final season of a three-year contract and on board with the idea of having performance-related clauses as part of his contract.

“We are in a results-driven business,” Brown told Market Watch.

“At the end of the day Dessie (Des Hasler) signed a $2 million deal and he’d be in the finals every other year. At the end of the day, whatever clauses need to be put in there, I’m sure these things will work out

“The coaching business is unique and it can change very quickly.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/e74de923d8989ed8c16a1bb84726a69a

6. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Gotta love dropkick journalists like Nathan Ryan/Foxsports who know nothing about the deal, yet calling it revolutionary expecting people to get baited by the headings and think they will go into detail about it when in reality they know as little as we do.

LEVR likes this.
  7. krustykraz

krustykraz Rodney Howe

8. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Great but will surely ruffle the feathers of the 'Lynch Browny' gang!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Tasgirl and Ethan like this.
  9. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Have'nt heard much from the Lynch Browny gang seeing we have won both games so far but as soon as we have a loss i'm sure they will be in fine voice again ..Browny cant coach , the club is doomed , the players he bought are crap , that sort of thing lol.

10. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Gee some people get caught up in silly drama. There was never really a "lynch" mob just some doubting Brown's ability to actually coach a football side in the nrl as so far we have really only seen rebuilding phases.

Beaumont likes this.
  11. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Got to disagree mate I'm pretty sure it is a lynch mob with a lot of what was written and said ...

12. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I took it with a grain of salt. Some people like to argue the fact. Makes for conversation I suppose.

13. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    We've conceded 30 a game and "won' 2 spoons in Brown's first 2 years. Him and Mooney have done a great job with the roster but I'll judge Brown's coaching ability on what I see this year because my Grandmother couldn't have done any worse in 16/17.

mozza and slotmachine like this.
  14. TheBatman

TheBatman Todd Anderson

“In some respects, Nathan and Darren Mooney have sacrificed short-term success to build a club that will be great for the city over the long term. If we are an organisation with integrity, that should be rewarded by us.”

Absolutely loved this quote and shows the quality of Wests as owners. Everyone knows the job Brown and Mooney were brought in to do. It was never going to be pretty and wins were never likely, Brown said that from day one. To then, after the seeming near completion of the rebuild, tell them to hit the road because results have been poor would've been a disgrace. As a player looking to sign for the club I would've looked at that and really questioned the clubs honesty and integrity. Brown has been so great for this club, he has brought in great people who have really elevated the club 100%. Mooney is the obvious one, but there's also Tony Ayoub, who frankly is the best buy Newcastle have had in years. Our players look fitter and faster than I can remember since the Glory years of Newcastle. No more over weight Leilua's or Chubby Pat Mats.
    The last thing is Brown can actually coach! You only need to look at some of the set plays from this year and even last year. I remember the game against Brisbane last year where we ran a really nice set play from about 40m out. Fairly sure Ross streaked through a hole after a nice bit of build up play, however the last pass from Feeney was poor and we knocked on. I remember thinking that it was an outstanding play call if only we'd had a half capable of delivering it properly.
    Proud of the club for sticking by Brown and Mooney despite the obvious poor record.

Wobbles, Battler, EASBay17 and 2 others like this.
  15. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think this is Pat's year. He can't even make the bench in NSW Cup anymore, but this is definitely his year.

16. packo

Government
    I love how people see Browns coaching as two wooden spoons etc. on the surface yes. If you actually look how the team has improved in those two seasons, deeper then the results, he has done a really good job, it’s always on the coach to have the team turn up.

You look at the slop the coaches of the Raiders, Eels, Panthers have dished up. They have been playing together for years and still can’t get it right. Even with their talent.

It’s the exact same when we made the 8 under Bennet, we got their on the back of talent and got caught out against the Roosters.

He dropped Levi which I thought was madness. But that’s an example if he hasn’t had praise for, not too many if any coaches would have dropped Levi. It was a bold move and it appears to have worked.

Good coaching id say.

Battler, Tasgirl, Ethan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The weekly article where Gardner says Brown will sign soon - presumably when he comes to terms with there being no other offers coming for him, so he has to accept the "make the 8 or get sacked" performance clause.

Beaumont likes this.
  18. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    We can point out the odd set play and agree there was improvement towards the back end of the season but we've still leaked almost 30 a game for 2 years. It was all Aku's fault apparently. According to Pearce Brown's a very smart coach when it comes to the attack. Let's see what he can do for our defence. Maybe call Ivan Cleary.

ASJ82 likes this.
  19. packo

Government
    If only Rick Stone would come back. Some would be happy with that. Get that gun Mamo back also.

Battler and Tasgirl like this.
  20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown has done a very good job so far this year.
    His strategy of playing "opposed sessions" with his top team settled and playing together for months has got what is just about a complete new side up to scratch for round 1.

We might have a price to pay however, because our team is basically 10 weeks in to what might turn out to be a 35 week season for them.