In hindsight was losing Brian Smith the worst thing that happened to the Knights?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Legit question, he had us in 6th when it was revealed the Roosters had signed him after WE refused to extend him, had a squad that was insanely passionate and trying their guts out every week. - Then our playing group basically threw match's until he was gone.

We were living within in our means and developing a very nice balanced squad and were no doubt on the improve.

As a club to me that's been the golden time since Joey and if we had of kept him we were every chance of developing into a premiership winning squad with our odds and ends team.

Since than Stone came in and let things slide by being a soft c--k, Bennett came and poured petrol on the place and burned us to the ground, Stone came back and threw more logs on the fire, and it's only after 3 more years of Brown we are possibly looking like turning a corner and there is no guarantee's his method will yield success.

Worst decision we made and I'll get flamed for it was not extending Smith, he from memory asked for an extension which we dumbly refused, I think at the time probably myself and others at the time weren't against the decision but yeah....... Definitely a bad one IMO.

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Agree, Smith years were best since early 2000s but the roosters gave him $$$ we couldn't get near.

3. Lord of the Skraelings

Didn't he at the time ask for an extension that we WOULDN'T grant, I remember at the time he was happy to stay.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

No guarantees what would have happened beyond 2009. He probably had us playing the best of any of our coaches in recent times but he seems like one of those coaches who get stale quick with players & club.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Was at Parra for near on a decade and had plenty of success at Dragons prior, unfortunately at the Dragons he ran into the greatest team ever twice running.

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Literally everyone who knows anything about it thinks Smith wrecked the place and it took 10 years to get back on track.
    All the dollars that were spent during the Smith era were spent on people with no interest in Newcastle, and literally walked out the door with him.
    At least Bennett left us with a good junior system. Smith left us with nothing.
    In the Smith era our reserve grade was being run and paid for by Wyong, the coaching and training staff for under 20s were all part time unpaid volunteers, and the junior teams were coached by someone's dad. Every dollar was being spent on journeyman players from western Sydney - most of them rubbish.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Didn't Smith sign Matt Hilder ? He gets a pass from me.

8. Joel

Joel Touche...

He was on the Joust this week actually, such a solid bloke.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I definitely would’ve extended him. We played a great brand of football under him and were competitive every week in 2008 and 2009 until he got the flick.

Not sure how much difference it would’ve made in the long run. If it meant Bennett never coming here than I’m all for it.

Wobbles and slotmachine like this.
  10. Damo Levy

Damo Levy Gavin Hanrahan

No way Bennett left the place in better shape than Smith.

11. Billy

It's debatable whether Bennett even knew anything about the juniors, since he didn't even seem to know who the reserve grade players were, but we have never spent more money on development than we did under Bennett. Tinkler insisted on it.
    Smith stripped a million dollars out of lower grades and spent it all on firstgrade. Every promising local junior went somewhere else, and quite rightly too, we had the worst junior setup around.
    We have had the top side in under 16s most years for the last 5 years, one of the best in under 18s, and this year we have the top side in under 20s. Most of those kids benefitted from Tinkler dollars.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Zeb Taia, Cooper Vuna, Richie Faaso, another few diamonds in the rough he brought in.

I know he arsed a lot of locals - remember that letter from the little girl in the paper.

But too me results where on the up and he seemed to do it on the smell of a wet rag budget wise.

slotmachine likes this.
  13. Lord of the Skraelings

Did any of them kick on though Billy? Not saying they didn't just curious.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

How much of a warhorse was Hilder, zero talent but aside from Luke Quigley no one ever game more for the jumper!

Wobbles likes this.
  15. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

How are we going at the moment? How many locals are in the squad. Might answer your question.

16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Tinkler put the money through the juniors, Bennett could not have given a stuff and is interested in 1st grade only.

17. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Had to sew his head back on to play and when he was told he'd be signed only to play reserve grade he gave it everything. Wasn't a Wayne Bennett type player though. What a fkn joke.

Battler likes this.
  18. Billy

Yes.

19. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Brian Smith was underrated because he got some good results without the superstar players. The best players during his time there were Gidley, Mullen, an ageing and injured Buderus, and Steve Simpson. We also came 9th in 2008 with 28 points which was unlucky considering we had beaten the top teams like the Storm (who were over the cap), Sea Eagles, Roosters etc.
    Even though a few players have gone on to say their relationship with him was strictly professional (including Buderus), he did admit (in his book) he learnt a lot from Smith's coaching in regards to defence and offensive plays but I do think Smith suffered from being in a similar way to Griffin being old school with a 'my way or the high way approach' although IMO not as bad as him.

I definately think the Knights not offering a 3 year extension or not more then one year was definately a bad move on the Knights part as I did feel the results so far justified something longer and I think if they did offer something better it might have helped the team. As we did beat the top teams pretty good like the Dragons, Bulldogs, Titans etc.

I did not really feel really bad about losing any of the guys he let go if they weren't his type of guys (as history shows us the peptides help Snowden got from the Sharks, was probably the only one that would have been looked upon with question marks). But the rest, not really.
    I have a lot of respect for the guys who just went along with their business when they were moved on despite the obvious disappointments but zero for the guys who kicked a stink about it in the media. It's why I was annoyed to see Newton back in Knights colours despite having zero need for him to be back.

It's a shame pathetic turds like Buzz had an agenda against him and ignored facts that didn't suit his agenda in the Reynoldson saga like the Knights offering him an extension for $150k per year (or something like that) that he turned down and gambled on playing 15 games which he lost out on because of an injury.
    As well as the fact that he had actually verbally agreed to sign a deal to stay at the Storm but the Knights (out of desperation and losing players) bumped up their offer which led to Reynoldson telling the Storm the Knights had offered more money and him and his manager asked the Storm if they were going to match it.
    Privately although never admitting it, Storm officials were furious at him and his manager because they felt Bellamy had made him into the player he was in the Storm system which turned out to be 100% correct, basing his career post Storm.
    But it was never about the money for Reynoldson, was it? :lol:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Wobbles likes this.
  20. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    They were probably people in the media (who know nothing), as well as blokes like Jack Newton (who also know nothing), as well as people who were probably given the flick. We went from being a team who were terrible without Joey Johns (and a terrible roster post-Johns) to a fringe top 8 team who could win games, play a good brand of footy with the inferior roster compared to say someone like Bennett.

Bennett walked out because he didn't get his $1m+ salary, with an unfinished job and average results, Boyd quit on the Knights once our finals hopes dried up. It is not Smiths fault he was only given a one year extension despite getting better results then Bennett. I would have been surprised if Smith was even close to half of what Bennett was on.