Dylan Walker charged over domestic violence allegation

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Dec 7, 2018.

  1. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    25,289
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Dylan Walker charged over domestic violence allegation


    Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
    Fri 7 Dec 2018, 08:22 AM



    The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed by the Manly Sea Eagles of an alleged domestic violence incident involving former Test centre Dylan Walker and his partner at Dee Why in Sydney's northern beaches on Thursday afternoon.

    Walker has been charged with common assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. The 24-year-old has been bailed to appear in Manly Local Court on December 11.

    Speaking on Friday morning, Manly CEO Lyall Gorman said Walker won't be required to attend training ahead of his next court appearance.

    Gorman said it was "too early to say" if Walker would be in a Sea Eagles jersey in 2019 – the last year of a four-year contract he signed in late 2015.

    "It's too early to say what the consequences of this are but clearly it's a very serious allegation," Gorman said.

    "But let's allow the legal process to happen..... and I haven't even seen the statement of facts from the police yet. After that I can make more comment but in the interim he is not required to come to training."

    But Gorman said he had spoken to the NRL's Integrity Unit in general terms of what the league's expectations might be around penalties for players caught up in these situations.

    ''In speaking to the Integrity Unit this morning, it depends on the allegations and what the clear evidence is at a given time," he said.

    "There has been precedent in the game where players have been allowed to go the full legal process before sanctions occur.

    ''Speaking to the integrity Unit this morning ... if the facts and evidence are so strong and so clear action can be taken earlier."

    Manly has also reached out to Walker's partner and mother of their six-month-old son.

    "We want to make sure we look after her welfare and the welfare of her young baby. She's in good care with her mum and dad," Gorman said.

    "We're extremely disappointed on behalf of the club. Allegations around domestic violence, of course, are totally foreign to our culture and our values, as of course they are to the game of rugby league as a whole.

    "We all know the strong views around domestic violence of any sort, particularly in relation to females."

    According to a NSW Police statement, ambulance paramedics were called to a home in Dee Why around 5pm on Thursday and treated a 24-year-old woman for minor cuts to her shoulder, leg and feet.

    She was treated at the scene without the need to go to hospital.

    Police from the Northern Beaches Police Area Command then arrested a 24-year-old man who was taken to Manly police station.

    After four hours of questioning, he was charged and then released on bail.

    Walker is off-contract with Manly at the end of 2019. He was the Dally M centre of the year in 2017 after playing 25 games and scoring 13 tries, which helped get Manly to the finals.

    But this year he had several injuries, including six-weeks out with a fractured eye socket after a fight with Melbourne centre Curtis Scott.

    Walker played four Tests for Australia during the 2014 Four Nations tournament, and two Origin games for the NSW Blues in 2016.


    https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/07...er-charged-over-domestic-violence-allegation/
     

Share This Page