Australian Rugby League Commission

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
New ARLC chairman Peter Beattie talks NRL expansion, crowds, ratings and junior league

PHIL ROTHFIELD, The Daily Telegraph
January 30, 2018 8:57am

For years the NRL administration has been accused of lacking vision.

Bogged down with the same tired old ideas and no strategic planning for the future.

The soon-to-be-appointed new independent commission chairman, former QLD Premier Peter Beattie, has bold ideas to grow the game.

He spoke exclusively to sports Editor-at-Large Phil Rothfield yesterday about his vision for the NRL and plans for expansion.

Buzz: So are you ready to step in for John Grant as chairman?

I am only interested in taking the role if I have the support of the clubs and all stakeholders.

The constitution says I only need the support of the other independent commissioners but I want to make this work.

So I will be asking for a vote of the entire commission including the club and state nominees … and I will only take the job if they all want me there.

There is no point having a Chair the clubs don’t want. We want unity and cohesion.

Look, I want to stake my future in the game on this. We can’t have the clubs and head office at loggerheads.

We are only going to make this game even better if we work together.

Some might say I am dreaming if I think that will work but I am going to give it a red hot go. If we’re having barnies we’re only undermining the game.

Buzz: Let’s get you thoughts on some issues starting with expansion.

Expansion has to be on the table. The game can’t be complacent. We have to grow. If we stagnate we die. And that is why I want to see it back on the table. It’s time.

We need to be strategic about it and think long term.

There is so much other entertainment and other sports people are interested in. We can’t sit on our bums. The quality of the game is great but we’ve got to ensure it has a future.

That’s why expansion is so important.

Buzz: So what areas?

Now this is my personal view. We need to look at where we’re going. We’re putting a big emphasis on Perth this year with the season opener.

By the time the next TV deal comes around at 2022, we’ve got to have a product to have an attractive package for the networks. Are we going to have another QLD team? Or is it PNG? Is it Perth or country NSW?

The new State cups will provide an opportunity for everyone to demonstrate they deserve a place in the NRL. Not just through their on-field performance but the way they run their club and their business.

I can’t wait to see teams like Perth, Fiji, New Zealand, PNG, Country NSW and other cities in action, week after week in State Cup matches. Even Ipswich or Redcliffe. We’ve got to give them all a signal that we’re looking at expansion.

This broadcast cycle will give us the opportunity to see how serious they are about becoming part of the NRL. And, if one or two of them demonstrate they will benefit the NRL, can we look at including them in the next cycle?

Buzz: What are your thoughts on the decline in crowds and TV ratings.

This is a tough one … there is hardly a sport in Australia which isn’t struggling to maintain crowds and TV ratings because our world is changing so much.

When we did the tickets for the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast, we targeted families.

We knew we’d sell more if we charged less. Mum and dad and two kids could go to an athletics event for $60.

We sold a million tickets, which is a lot more than if we’d had higher prices and gouged people.

And we have exceeded our revenue targets.

It shows if you’ve got a quality event and you charge a fair price, people will come.

Crowds have been steady for a decade or more … up one or two per cent then down one or two per cent depending on the weather, which teams are going well and a range of other factors.

But we have to try to break that cycle.

The new stadiums will be a game changer. For the first time in decades, especially in Sydney, fans will have brilliant facilities, served by fast, efficient transport. Women won’t have to queue to use the toilet. Guys can get a beer easily. That’s what it’s about.

Buzz: And TV ratings. They’ve been in decline, too.

I think we will change the way we measure viewers as more people use their computers and phones to watch matches — and that’s why our investment in a world-class digital system is so important.

Buzz: And food prices. Fans don’t like being ripped off.

You make sure people get good food and they don’t get attacked by a bushranger with a hand in your pocket. I understand it’s a big issue and we’d all like to see it become more affordable to spend at day at the footy. The truth is you can usually get a family ticket for four for about $50. That’s pretty good. Cheaper than the movies. And I think the venues are trying to drive down food prices.

Buzz: Not everyone likes big stadiums that lack atmosphere. What about suburban grounds. The tribal homes of the game.

I think the Government has got it right. Parramatta stadium is going to be a real hit. Near the station, the shops, the restaurants and bars … what a great day out that will be.

We need a world-class stadium in the city and, of course, there has to be a marquee stadium for the Grand Final, Origin and other major events.

Naturally, we would all like to see the suburban stadiums upgraded as well. But we’ve done pretty well. I don’t want to sound greedy here.

At the end of the day the suburban grounds have to be updated too. We want to keep them. The challenge is trying to fund it. Families want to go to venues near where they live.

If the game grows and expands then you’ve got the opportunity to put the wood on people for money for things like that.

Nothing beats Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday afternoon. And as a new resident of Balmain, I will be joining them this year.

Buzz: But aren’t you a Broncos fan?

Ha! I’ve got to be neutral now I am on the Commission, don’t I? Look, I have been a Queenslander all my life and have nothing but love for the State. I’ve spent most of my life in Brisbane but now I am living in Balmain. So maybe I should be supporting the Wests Tigers.

Buzz: The game is broke. Where can we cut costs?

Well, firstly, the game is not broke. We’ve done a record broadcasting deal and we have taken the opportunity to use that windfall to make our clubs and players more financially secure than ever before.

So I am more interested in generating more revenue than cutting costs. This game has so much potential.

So I want to look at how we schedule and run events like the Nines and the women’s game to generate more funds for the game. We’ve only scratched the surface in those areas.

Buzz: Off field behaviour and scandals have been a big issue.

I actually want to congratulate the players for the way they have conducted themselves in the current off-season.

I know there can be an incident at any time … but this has probably been the best off-season on record. I am not aware of any major incidents involving our players. So we should give them credit for that.

The truth is, of course, that our players are like any other group of 20-35-year-olds in the community. Most will never get into trouble. A couple will go off the rails from time to time.

Our players really pay a huge penalty when that happens. Not only do they have to deal with the issue legally, but they are named and shamed publicly and often get stood down from their career — playing football. That does not happen to too many other people in society.

We have been tough in recent years. Some players have had their livelihoods taken away from them. But I think it is clear that the players are taking heed of what has happened.

We are not going to let up … we have to protect the reputation and image of the game.

Buzz: What challenge are you most focused on?

My biggest passion is junior football. I want to make it easier for young people to play the game, I want more people playing rugby league.

And the best way we can do that is to ensure there is a game for everyone, whether you are a toddler, junior, girl or boy, senior or elite player. Whether you want to play contact or non-contact rugby league. Because we’ll only have a strong future if we have more people playing.

I really want to focus on that in the first 12 months.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/36cad6516e4dd6352c776ba731128111

ARL Commission's club-appointed directors voted in

Michael Chammas
Chief Reporter
Fri 9 Feb 2018, 07:44 AM

The formation of the ARL Commission has become a lot clearer after the two club-appointed directors were voted in on Thursday night.

NRL.com understands Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys was unanimously voted in, receiving the vote of all 16 NRL clubs.

The clubs also had a second vote between former Collingwood Magpies boss Gary Pert and Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz.

Selikowitz received 10 votes compared to Pert's six, and is set to officially join V'landys on the newly formed commission at the February 21 annual general meeting.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/09/arl-commissions-club-appointed-directors-voted-in/

ARL Commission vote postponed

Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Wed 21 Feb 2018, 12:55 PM

The vote on the new-look ARL Commission was postponed on Wednesday after three clubs - the Gold Coast Titans, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the Melbourne Storm - refused to support the proposed reforms.

The vote has been postponed until March 12 after the 16 clubs met on Wednesday morning and could not agree to provide unanimous support for the proposed changes to the board which were set to introduce four new commissioners - NSWRL chairman George Peponis, QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher, Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys and Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz.

Former Queensland premier Peter Beattie has been voted in to be the new ARL Commission chairman, replacing John Grant.

Because the clubs did not support the proposed changes, the vote was not held at the ARL Commission's AGM.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and Beattie fronted the media to outline their plan to resolve the impasse.

Beattie said he would personally address the boards of the three clubs against the proposal.

"This is the real issue - how the new constitution would work," Beattie said.

"That's the most accurate way I could describe it."

I want to see us have a national footprint. We want to maintain our existing footprint but we also want to build on it.

Beattie spoke about the priorities for the new-look commission moving forward, which were headlined by game expansion, a greater role for women and greater focus on grass roots.

"Of course the game needs to expand," Beattie said.

"We're in a very competitive environment for entertainment… You've got to be flexible and you've got to have a strategy.

"I want to see us have a national footprint. We want to maintain our existing footprint but we also want to build on it."

That tied into a greater focus on grassroots rugby league, with Beattie making a point of an upcoming visit to the Gold Coast-based Burleigh Bears.

"The first formal event I will attend is this Friday night going to the Burleigh Bears on the Gold Coast, they're a grass roots club," he said.

"From there [it's about] supporting juniors, there's money in the program for that. This is about growing the game, valuing rugby league at a grassroots level, recruiting people into the game.

"The elite part [of the game] we all love [but] you don’t have an elite game without juniors."

Beattie was very strong on the need for greater involvement of women in the game, particularly on the commission.

"I want to see an increasing role for women in the game. Regardless of what happens with the constitutional changes one of next people appointed to the commission will be a woman," he said.

"The next person from the Independents will be a woman.

"The commission only has one woman on it at the moment… it's not good enough to have one so next person that comes from the Independents will be a woman and we'll work with the clubs and NSW and Queensland to increase the number of women [involved]."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/arl-commission-vote-postponed/

John Grant’s departs rugby league with a whimper - and the game won’t miss him

DAVID RICCIO, The Daily Telegraph
February 21, 2018 6:58pm

NOBODY clapped. Not a single person thanked him. Most club bosses couldn’t even look him in the eye.

Farewell John Grant? Fairly embarrassing more like it.

Inside The Dally Messenger Room on Wednesday, on the ground floor of Moore Park’s League Central, Grant stood and offered his final words as chairman of the NRL.

Rocking back in their seats with absolutely intended disrespect, 14 of the 16 club chairs which were present pretended to listen as a sheepish Grant stood for his sign-off.

It was only because he was speaking so softly that those in the room were forced to lean forward in their seats. The mood was completely uncomfortable for everyone.

However, Grant couldn’t help himself. There was a final jab, even if, so subtle.

“Hopefully in the future, the game will be void of political agendas,’’ Grant whispered. “And so now I’ll stand down as chairman.’’

And that was it.

Some chairs fiddled with their pens or mobile phones, others simply looked down at their feet.

For six years, Grant led an ARL commission that began with promise and ends in disarray.

From a record $1.2 billion broadcast deal, the game hasn’t a single asset.

The numbers the game does have are for a bank — which the Commission needed for a $30 million loan to ease its cash flow problems.

Even on his final day, Grant couldn’t bring unity to the game.

It says everything.

This was a leader who appeared more interested in presenting trophies on grand final day.

He welcomed the spotlight, even though there were others more deserved or at least capable of announcing something so simple, as the Australian Test team.

Manly and Cronulla lost all respect for Grant the day he called them Seagulls and Hawks.

Before Grant’s sign-off, a vote for constitutional reform was blocked by the Bulldogs, Titans and Storm.

To most fans, this all means nothing when it comes to determining the 2018 top eight.

Put simply, this was a chance for unity and a joint-vision of financial strength, a collective pursuit for increased participation, interest and return across the entire code.

It was a chance for every stakeholder, including your favourite club, to have a say on how the greatest game of all cannot only survive, but thrive.

New ARL chairman Peter Beattie is on record with his intent for inclusiveness — and not just on the field.

Beattie will open the front door of the NRL to all. He told colleague Phil Rothfield that bank records will be made available every three months for proper scrutiny.

The game has had too many secrets for too long.

The three clubs which voted against reform have their own reasons for blocking it.

However, no sooner had Grant exited League Central and straight out to a lunch with selected commissioners, that talk of hope and confidence had begun.

On March 12, when the clubs reconvene for a final an AGM and last chance to vote for reform, Beattie’s chairmanship of the game will be underway.

It’s then that many believe he’ll be able to convince at least two of three clubs to change their minds, striking a peace deal which the game has never experienced before.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/a0796fadccbe51e38f3c48aa510a918d

Statement From NSWRL Board

NSWRL
Wed 7 Mar 2018, 07:33 PM

The Board of New South Wales Rugby League was disappointed to learn from Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter Beattie and Chief Executive Officer Todd Greenberg that three NRL clubs have decided to renege on the agreement regarding constitutional reform which the NRL clubs and States unanimously agreed upon in December 2017.

The three clubs have demanded that both the New South Wales Rugby League and Queensland Rugby League make further concessions to the draft amended constitution.

Against the background of the members of the Australian Rugby League Commission having reached unanimous agreement regarding the draft constitution, and the overwhelming majority of those members continuing to support the terms of the draft constitution, the Board of the New South Wales Rugby League is strongly of the view that it will not agree to make further concessions to the already agreed position and it will not allow the good of the game to be determined by narrow sectional interests.

The Board of New South Wales Rugby League has affirmed its support for constitutional change and reiterates that it will not stand in the way of governance progress which is in the best interests of the game.

The Board is proud of the fact that throughout its history, New South Wales Rugby League has always advanced the best interests of the game. The NRL competition, which the three clubs participate in, was born out of the New South Wales Rugby League competition.

New South Wales Rugby League acted in the interests of the game when it expanded an inner city competition into a metropolitan competition, then into a state-wide competition, then into a national and ultimately an international competition.

It acted in the interests of the game when, together with the Queensland Rugby League, it supported the creation of the Australian Rugby League Commission.

It acted in the interests of the game when it supported increased funding for NRL clubs, both individually and collectively, with the significantly increased club grants which were recently provided to NRL clubs.

The Board of New South Wales Rugby League now calls on the three NRL clubs to discard sectional interests and also act in the best interests of the game by adhering to the agreement which all of them freely reached in December 2017.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/03/07/statement-from-nswrl-board/

ARLC constitutional reform voted down

Dan Walsh
Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:29 PM

The ARLC will revisit plans for constitutional reform within the next 12 months after the motion was defeated at a meeting of NRL chiefs on Monday.

Chairman Peter Beattie stressed that progressive discussions were held with "a lot of good will in the room" despite a 15-3 vote failing to get the proposal – that would have seen the number of independent commissioners reduced from eight to six and four club and state representatives added – across the line.

As a result NSW Racing CEO Peter V'landys and ex Nine Network executive Amanda Laing have formally accepted positions as independent commissioners, while the NSWRL and QRL will now have representatives on the ARLC's financial audit committee.

Beattie vowed to "get on with the job" ahead in 2018.

"Obviously there were some disagreements about the advancement of constitutional reform. It was a 15-3 vote but the feeling in the room was a positive one," Beattie said.

"You can disagree without it being an ugly fight, and it wasn't. It was actually done with goodwill."

Beattie welcomed the additions of V'landys and Laing to the commission, particularly the latter as a deliverance on his promise to add a female representative to the ARLC.

"Amanda's had a long experience in the corporate world, in media, that's the sort of experience we need," he said.

"… She brings incredible skills and would be there regardless of her gender but it's an asset to the game that she is a woman."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/12/arlc-constitutional-reform-on-hold-until-2019/

NRL half year results

NRL Media Release
Fri 15 Jun 2018, 02:41 PM

The NRL has recorded a $27.8 million surplus in the first six months of 2018.

This puts the organisation on track to meet its target of a $45 million surplus for the year.

The results were presented to a meeting of club CEO's and Chairs today, following a commitment by Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter Beattie to be transparent on the game's finances.

In the first six months of 2018, the NRL recorded:

- A 29 per cent increase in sponsorship revenue;

- A 39 per cent increase in distributions to clubs – from $79.7 million to $110.5 million

- A 17 per cent increase in funding to States – from $13.8 million to $16.1 million

Mr Beattie said the results showed the game was in a strong financial position.

"Our aim is to not only meet our financial targets but to exceed them," he said.

"And if, over this broadcast cycle, we beat our targets, the funds will be distributed evenly between grassroots, players, clubs and the NRL.

"In other words, everyone has skin in the game and there is an incentive for every part of the game to perform strongly."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the game had secured more than $316 million in funding for Centres of Excellence.

New facilities will be built for most NRL clubs, as well as the NRL in Victoria and the Northern Territory.

Mr Greenberg said these facilities would be a game changer in attracting people to Rugby League in those areas.

He also told club leaders that NRL television audiences are up by one million viewers in Australia so far this year and by 15 per cent in New Zealand.

Crowds are also up by nearly three per cent during the Telstra Premiership – on top of the 87,000 block-buster crowd at the first Holden State of Origin match.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15/nrl-half-year-results/

ARL Commission backs NSWRL merger with CRL

NSWRL
Wed 28 Nov 2018, 05:08 PM

The NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League (CRL) today received support from the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) for their joint vision of a merger that would see Rugby League in NSW governed by one body for the first time in more than 80 years.

A delegation of NSWRL and CRL executives, including NSWRL Chairman Dr George Peponis OAM and Chief Executive David Trodden, together with the CRL Chairman John Anderson and Chief Executive Terry Quinn, presented a proposed plan to the ARLC, which would see both organisations work towards merging into a single entity by 1 November 2020.

The proposed merger would allow for significantly more combined resources to deliver Rugby League programs and competitions across the whole state, with existing NSWRL and CRL staff assured that their employment is secure.

Dr Peponis said:"We are really excited about the future of the game in New South Wales and the opportunity a single governing body presents.

"I would like to acknowledge the role Jim Doyle has played in the merger process and thank ARLC Chairman Peter Beattie and the Commission for their indication of support for the proposal."

Mr Anderson said: "The CRL has formally committed to working alongside New South Wales Rugby League in seeking to create a merged governing body that will continue to serve in the best interests of clubs, participants and volunteers at all levels for the future of the game in New South Wales."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/28/arl-commission-backs-nswrls-merger-with-crl/

Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council announcement

NRL Media Release
Tue 4 Dec 2018, 10:01 PM

The Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council (ARLIC) has undergone change at a board level.

Former Australian Jillaroo, Katrina Fanning has been announced as the new Chairwoman of the ARLIC, whilst former Australian, New South Wales and Canberra player, Laurie Daley has accepted a position as a member of the Council.

Mr Daley joins the Council for the first time, whilst Ms Fanning takes over from outgoing ARLIC Chairwoman, the Honourable Linda Burney MP, who has stepped down from the board to concentrate on her current role as a Member of Parliament in the Australian Federal Opposition.

Ms Fanning, a Wiradjuri woman from Junee in New South Wales, has been a member of the ARLIC board since 2012 and is currently the Director of Coolamon Advisors. She has held several senior public service roles previously, including at Aboriginal Hostels, Centrelink and the Department of Employment.

Ms Fanning’s playing career spanned 26 tests for Australia, including as a member of the inaugural Jillaroos Test team in 2005.

“It’s an incredible honour to not only remain as part of the ARLIC board, but to have the opportunity to lead as Chairwoman,” Ms Fanning said.

“Rugby League has played such a pivotal role in my life, as has ensuring that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have a strong voice within communities”.

“The game that I grew up with and that I love has welcomed and embraced so many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players, participants and fans over many years – including my fellow council members, Mal Cochrane and Laurie Daley.

“We have an incredible representation of Indigenous players within the NRL – more than 12% now – and close to 20% of grassroots players hail from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds.

“I’m looking forward to helping grow this number and to continue to promote the positive work that the NRL, our states and our clubs deliver in Indigenous communities on a daily basis.”

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman, Peter Beattie congratulated Ms Fanning and Mr Daley on their appointments and thanked outgoing Chairwoman, the Honourable Linda Burney MP for her outstanding contribution.

“Linda is without doubt, one of the most vocal and passionate Indigenous women I have met,” Mr Beattie said.

“Our game owes Linda a great deal of gratitude for the enthusiasm, guidance and cultural awareness that she has delivered in her role as Chairwoman since 2012.

“As Katrina and Laurie take on their new roles, I look forward to continuing to work in partnership with the Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council in developing stronger pathways, opportunities and recognition for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people involved in our game.”

The NRL, alongside players and clubs, has had a close bond with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities over many years.

The game is the only major national sporting organisation to have reached ‘Elevate’ Status in a new Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), with several clubs currently delivering their own RAP.

This is in addition to local community, wellbeing and education programs run by the NRL in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, as well as the traditional NRL Indigenous Round and NRL Harvey Norman All Stars matches.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/04/australian-rugby-league-indigenous-council-announcement/

ARLC confirm policy change

NRL Media Release
Thu 28 Feb 2019, 01:20 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has today confirmed a change to the policy relating to players facing serious criminal charges.

The change will give the NRL the power to place a player facing serious criminal charges on a no-fault stand-down until the finalisation of any court proceedings.

The change was outlined to NRL Chairs and CEOs, following the ARLC’s Annual General Meeting.

“The change has occurred after extensive consultation across the community and amongst stakeholders,” ARLC Chairman Peter Beattie said.

“As Chairman, my responsibility, and the responsibility of my fellow Commissioners, is to act in the best interests of the entire game - and to take a leadership position when it comes to acts of violence against women in particular.

“What we have heard are community concerns about players facing serious criminal charges representing the Game on the field, and today the ARLC has acted on those concerns.

“The policy addresses charges which are of particular concern to the Game and the broader community, including sexual violence and violence against women.

“That includes the present game – and the future game.

“It also includes protecting and supporting the wellbeing of those entrusted to us as part of our game. That includes players and their families; clubs; sponsors; and fans.

“Today, the Commission has acted with those interests top of mind. And we are supported by Todd and his leadership team; along with Club Chairs and CEOs.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/28/arlc-confirm-policy-change/

Australian Rugby League Commission meeting

NRL Media Release
Tue 30 Apr 2019, 02:53 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) held its monthly Commission meeting today, with key metric updates on the first seven rounds of the Telstra Premiership and an update on the overall footprint strategy leading the agenda.

The Commission also received a guest presentation and discussion from News Corporation Australia Executive Chair, Michael Miller, together with Foxtel Chief Executive, Patrick Delany, on the current and future media landscape.

In relation to key metrics following the first seven rounds of the season, the Commission was updated on significant improvements in statistical trends, with adjustments made in the off-season with the intention to minimise stoppages throughout matches.

To date this season, there have been more than 300 fewer penalties awarded by referees compared to the same period in 2018. Combined with other on-field adjustments intended to reduce stoppages, ball in play time has increased by an average of 1m 45s more per match, equating to almost 100 more minutes of additional action for fans to enjoy.

In addition, and in comparison to this time last season, total free-to-air television audiences have increased by more than 4%, national total subscription viewership have increased by 3%, club memberships have increased by 3% and total attendances have increased by more than 2%.

An update was also provided on the progress of the footprint strategy, due to be delivered by the end of the year, with a range of analysis and forecasting underway.

ARLC Chair, Peter Beattie said the start of the season had re-engaged fans, with just eight points separating the 16 clubs.

“We have witnessed some incredible matches, opened a brand new stadium in western Sydney and commemorated our service men and women as part of ANZAC Round,” Mr Beattie said.

“We have some exciting rounds to look forward to, including the first of its kind – Magic Round in Brisbane next week – and Indigenous Round two weeks later.

“Overall, our game is in good shape and we are continuing to undertake important work behind the scenes on a range of programs, including in the areas of integrity, participation and the future of our game.

“In the case of our footprint strategy, I have said before that our fans are at the centre of every decision we make. The next phase will provide an opportunity for us to engage with our key stakeholders to obtain their views and feedback.

“We will continue to focus on what is best for the future of rugby league overall, ultimately leading to a stronger and more unified game, on and off the field.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/30/australian-rugby-league-commission-meeting/

The SMH has reported what Mark Coyne said to the police in Singapore. It was f___ this and f___ that even a c___ that.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...at-led-to-coyne-s-arrest-20190718-p5289v.html

Does Mark Coyne know Singapore is known as fine city? I don't understand how he thought he could get away with what he said. He should resign as quickly as possible.

Perhaps karma has got him back for that famous Origin try all those years ago.

Club CEOs meeting

NRL Media
Wed 14 Aug 2019, 05:25 PM

The National Rugby League will progress work on the potential creation of trade window periods to enhance the player contracting process after a meeting of club chief executives in Sydney today.

The meeting was updated on progress made by the “Contract Window Working Group” which was created to explore alternatives to the current contracting model.

Club CEOs unanimously agreed to deepen discussions with the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) about reforming the player contracting process to enhance outcomes for the game and its fans.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said all 16 clubs supported expanding consideration of the trade window process.

“It is in the best interests of the game to have a more orderly process regulating player movement and the player contracting model. I’m pleased there was absolute support from club chief executives today in exploring this further,’’ he said.

“A trade window process would create more excitement and continuity for our fans who regularly express concerns about the current player contracting model.

“We will continue discussions on this issue over the coming weeks and we will consult the players for their views on this important matter.

“I thank the Contract Window Working Group for the significant work they have done in this very complex area.”

The meeting discussed the recent racial intolerance of players on social media. All 16 chief executives gave their absolute support to players who have called out such incidents and re-enforced the game has a zero tolerance approach to racism and abuse of players.

“Today was a timely opportunity to have a collective discussion about racial intolerance in our community,’’ Mr Greenberg said.

“We agreed the standard you walk past is the standard you accept which is why we must call out racism in all its forms. The room congratulated players who had spoken out against racial intolerance in recent days. It will not be tolerated in our game.”

Approval was given for the NRL to launch a variety of capability development programs that clubs will participate in to develop future executive leaders across the game.

The investment in the game’s people will identify emerging staff or players and provide them with the opportunity to participate in programs which will enhance their opportunities to become leading executives at their clubs and across the NRL.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/14/club-ceos-meeting/

Back