2017 Test Series: Australia vs India - 4th Test

Stumps on day 1 and India are 0/0 chasing Australia's score of 300

Hazlewood got some swing and differing bounce in that 1 over before stumps

Day 1 is complete and day 2 will be very interesting !!

Well Member, Lefty Wade's 57 helped us to get to 300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed it did and he batted very patiently. With the pressure on I just could not understand a quick single that ran out O'Keefe. What a shame we did not get another 100 from Maxi, Hanscomb and Marsh however. No one has commented on debut Keldup's bowling. The ball that bowled Maxi was like Warnie's 'Ball of the Century'. Pitched wide of the leg stump, left alone, jumped and turned to the off side and took the top of his off stump. Poor Maxi was stunned.

He is a Googly or Chinaman bowler and the Indian selectors were shrewd to bring him into the side. He is exactly the same type of bowler that ripped through us repeatedly on the Sri Lankan tour last year. This wicket os extremely odd. One end is taking seam bowling and reverse swing well, and the other Keldup gets the ball to spin, bounce and jump. Almost as if it had been prepared delibeately, but one could not say that without being called a cheat.

How good is 300 Lefty? I do not know for one. Time will tell. Remember First Test, 256 was an outstanding total and more than India could compile in two innings. By 5pm today we will have some idea methinks.

Keldup was exceptional, as one of the commentators said it was like watching Warne. He is one lefty I wish we had in our team - he may become the first great Chinaman bowler.

I don't think 300 is enough. The pitch will provide assistance for Cummins and Hazelwood and the extra bounce will help Lyon. I hope I'm wrong. I think We need Cummins to have a blinder.

Brad Hogg is the best l.h. wrist spinner we have had who can bowl googlies, as they are a pretty rare breed. A trivia question where does the word 'Chinaman' in cricket parlance come from?

Allegedly in 1933 the West indies were playing a Test in England and had a l.h. wrist spinner of Chinese descent. He bowled a googly, the ball spun the wrong way and bowled the batsman who is believed to have said to the umpire at square leg as he walked off "Fancy being bowled by a bloody Chinaman' and the term stuck.

Mate, Abdul Qadir bowled right arm wrist spin.

Qadir was a wrist spinner whose stock ball spun from off to leg and who bowled an off stump line to right handers. He effectively bowled chinaman deliveries.

Qadir was a wrist spinner whose stock ball spun from off to leg and who bowled an off stump line to right handers. He effectively bowled chinaman deliveries.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Lunch on day 2 and India on top

They are 1/64 and looking comfortable

As I said yesterday I think Jackson Bird should have played, Not much happening for Lyon or O'Keefe

Brad Hogg is the best l.h. wrist spinner we have had who can bowl googlies, as they are a pretty rare breed. A trivia question where does the word 'Chinaman' in cricket parlance come from?

Allegedly in 1933 the West indies were playing a Test in England and had a l.h. wrist spinner of Chinese descent. He bowled a googly, the ball spun the wrong way and bowled the batsman who is believed to have said to the umpire at square leg as he walked off "Fancy being bowled by a bloody Chinaman' and the term stuck.
Yeah the player in question's name was Ellis "Puss" Achong

An excellent spell of bowling from Cummins to dismiss Rahul and to rouble Rahane.

I'm looking forward to Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood being let loose on the Poms next summer. I hope they make the English batting line-up look like a train wreck.

Tea on day 2 and just 1 wicket fell so India are 2/153

The Aussie bowlers have kept it tight, India are only scoring at 2.55rpo and still trail by 147 runs

New ball is available in 20 overs so hopefully we can grab a few wickets

This has been an absorbing battle !!

New ball due and wickets tumbling to the spinners.
I'd take the new ball - Cummins and Hazlewood could rip right through the tail.

Excellent bowling by Nathan Lyon to get us back into the match.

It's a pity that Renshaw dropped that last catch, we would have been in a good position if it was taken.

Glad I took the day off work tomorrow, it should be another enthralling day's play.

Last edited:
With our luck in sport overall the last few weeks Lefty, it may well rain, or even snow, all day.

Team management have got to keep microphones away from our players. No good Lyon saying we are on top at 6/248, only 52 runs behind. They may get another 200 yet who knows?

Hmm, I'd say India are ahead there, although I'm tainted by following NZ who usually concede at least 150 for the final two or three wickets haha.

India have to bat last, so they need a 50 run lead on the first innings for it to be even. They'll struggle to get that.
It's a good way to end the series. It looks like there will be a result, and it could still go either way.

Back