2018 Knights Captains and Leadership Group

Kurriboy you can only access those articles á lá Telegraph if you are a paid up contributor and I refuse to give that so and so anything!

After Uncle Rupe's $68 billion for 21st Century Fox he really does not need my miserable few dollars to read his crap!

Yeah I know, I'm the same. I don't believe in paying for news.

Josh2010 was responding to a person who said he couldn't read it due to paywall saying to just google the headline and you can normally read it. I couldn't get that to work.

If your referring to the article in the DT about the leadership guru I have already posted it on the previous page

captain in RL is just the guy who talks to the ref - so you want someone who can keep their cool, but also have a say if we are getting screwed by the ref. Not someone who will fly off the handle.
Buhrer or Guerra I think.
It's a very over rated position. The playmaker does all the important leadership things, captain or not.

Could certainly do worse than Buhrer, but the question remains as to what his role will be now that Griffin and Levi are likely to share the hooking duties.

If he isn't a mainstay in the 2nd row, they'll need a co-captain because he could find himself struggling to hold his place.

Sione would have to be in the calculations somewhere, but that depends on how well he settles in at centre.

If it's not a co-captain arrangement with Sione, my guess is that it'll be Buhrer and Pearce to start the season.

Long-term it could be almost anyone, this season will answer as many questions as it asks you'd think.

Sione hasn’t even managed to lock down a permanent position and it still only 21, I think captaincy can come in time for him but not now.

Sione hasn’t even managed to lock down a permanent position and it still only 21, I think captaincy can come in time for him but not now.

You're probably right, but the gut feeling is that Brown will remain loyal to him in that role.

Sione has already had the decision to move out of the forwards taken out of his hands, losing the co-captaincy would be another blow to his confidence.

He's always shown a lot of maturity and natural leadership for a young guy and you'd expect that he has the support of the playing group no matter where he lines up.

If Brown reckons he can handle the responsibility (albeit even a token role) then I'm backing that he's well in the mix.

The captaincy problem is that given all fit and well that the most likely Captains are players, Buhrer and Sione, who might not be in the starting side continuously, Buhrer mainly because of serious competition for forward spots and Sione due to problems with concusion, is an interesting dilemma.

Last edited:
For sure. Regardless of the likelihood either of these guys have in holding down a position with the abundance of competition or longevity around health concerns, they've proved themselves so far. Depending on how their seasons play out, the captains at the end of the season could be different than at the start.

The only other serious candidate at the moment I expect is Pearce.

DOGS LEADER IN TRAINING

Outgoing Newcastle half Jack Cogger will benefit from remaining at the Knights in 2018 with Nathan Brown revealing the Canterbury bound No.7 will be part of the clubs emerging leaders group.

Cogger has signed on with the Bulldogs from 2019 but won’t be given an early released by the club.

While petty clubs have punished players for signing with rivals a year out, the Knights will continue to develop Cogger.

“Cogger is a bit of a standout,” Brown told Private Ryan.

Having introduced a two-tier leadership set-up to the club, Cogger headlines the next crop of leaders who will sit underneath the senior playing group.

Daniel Saifiti is also part of their emerging leadership program.

Leadership guru Ray McLean has worked with AFL clubs and the Australian netball team and started working with the Knights this year.

“Saifiti and these guys are learning how to prepare better and train better to play better,” Brown said.

“We did a little bit of work with Jack Cogger last year, obviously we’re losing Jack but Ray will continue to work with him.

“Sione (Mata’utia) is still only emerging in a lot of ways so he’s another one.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/92c19e2f825877ad4bfdf351db13fdca

I am less happy with Burher as captain after the trial in that in both attack and defence he seemed to get beaten in the wrestle every time. Was disappointed

Not so sure about Buhrer as game day capt as he might not make game day squad, can't have Griffin, Levi and Buhrer in side together and rather have Fitz in team with Barnet at 13 and big boys on bench with either Griffin or Levi. He is definitely best one for Captain but no good if not playing each week.

Buhrer has a pretty limited future. I know know 88 he is the CAPTAIN!!!!

More bench starts and less run on starts, just like he was with the silvertails before coming here.

Captain is the kiss of death.
All the guys Brown makes captain are out the door in no time.

Back