2014 VB NSW Cup Grand Final - Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by rhugh89, Sep 21, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2014 VB NSW CUP GRAND FINAL

[TABLE="width: 510, align: center"]

[TD="align: center"]m
    [​IMG]m

Newcastle
    KNIGHTS
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG]

[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]MARATHON
    [​IMG]
    marathon
    Penrith
    PANTHERS
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 28TH

KICKOFF - 3:10PM

LIVE ON FOX SPORTS 1

VENUE - ALLIANZ STADIUM, SYDNEY

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS LINE UP:

1. Nathan Ross
    22. Josh Mantellato
    3. Brayden Wiliame
    4. Pat Mata’utia
    5. Chanel Mata’utia
    6. Matt Minto
    7. Michael Dobson
    8. Sam Mataora
    9. Chad Redman
    10. Pat Vaivai
    11. Clint Newton
    18. Timana Tahu
    13. Matt Hilder (c)

14. Travis Waddell
    15. Tyler Randell
    16. Michael Steele
    17. Brenton Horwood
    25. James Elias
    30. Toka Likiliki

PENRITH PANTHERS LINE UP:

1.Kieran Moss
    2.Eto Nabuli
    3.Waqa Blake
    4. Wes Naiqama
    5.Tom Eisenhuth
    6.Luke Capewell
    7.Tom Humble
    8.Leilani Latu
    9.Kevin Kingston
    10.Reagan Campbell-Gillard
    11.Isaah Yeo
    12.Nathan Smith
    13.Ryan Simpkins

14. Vaipuna Tia Kilifi
    15. Kierran Moseley
    16. Andy Saunders
    17. Daniel Foster
    18. Liam Ayoub

2. rhugh89

Injury Update

Pat came off during our win over the Cutters but it was only cramp whilst Dobson will have scans on his toe tomorrow

3. member 2299

member 2299 Andrew 'Joey' Johns

Retired
    Personally I think it is a disgrace on NRL Grand Final Day one has to watch **** poor entertainment and not Holden or VB Cup Grand Finals.

4. cowboyman

cowboyman Adam Woolnough

Hospitality
    The winner of nsw cup plays the winner of q-cup on gf day.

5. rhugh89

Penrith, Newcastle to contest NSW Cup grand final

By Jack Brady
    NRL.com
    11:40am Mon 22nd September, 2014

The Penrith Panthers and Newcastle Knights have fought their way to the NSW Cup grand final after accounting for the Wentworthville Magpies and Illawarra Cutters respectively in a bumper double header at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday afternoon.

After taking out the minor premiership, the Panthers continued on their way to the decider with a seven-game winning streak to boot after taking down the Magpies 31-12.

Despite the slow start, the Panthers were able to run in tries through back-rowers Ryan Simpkins and Reagan Campbell-Gillard, fullback Kieran Moss, centre Kevin Naiqama and five-eighth Luke Capewell with a Tom Humble field goal securing the game for his team in the final ten minutes.

Joining the Magpies on Mad Monday were the Cutters who had no answers to a first half onslaught from the Knights.

A hat-trick to winger and man of the match Josh Mantellato in the first 15 minutes saw Newcastle jump to an early 16-0 lead before tries to Pat Vaivai, Chanel
    Mata'utia and Chad Redman saw the Knights win their first preliminary final in three years.

The NSW Cup will be contested at Allianz Stadium this Sunday, 28 September in a triple header offering from NSWRL.

With Newcastle and Penrith set to be the main event, the Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield will also be decided in what promises to be a bumper day of rugby league.

Tickets for the afternoon are just $10 for adults and $5 for kids and are on sale now.

NSWRL Grand Final Day fixtures

Sunday, September 28th at Allianz Stadium from 10:30am onwards

Sydney Shield Grand Final: Belrose Eagles vs. Mounties

Ron Massey Cup Grand Final: Mounties vs. Entrance Tigers

NSW Cup: Penrith Panthers vs. Newcastle Knights

http://www.nrl.com/penrith,-newcast...4/newsid/82046/default.aspx?cid=NRL_HP_Latest

6. rhugh89

Nathan Ross has no case to answer after being put on report in our win over the Cutters, He is cleared to play :)

7. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Personally I would've loved to have seen the NSW Cup GF played on NRL GF day as it has been a treat to watch over the last few years as well as the Holden Cup GF.

If we don't win it then it'll be pretty average watching two other teams come October.

8. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

I can see why they've done it, but it does sort of take the gloss off winning the NSW Cup, especially if you lose the next week.

Although I wonder how seriously both teams will take the game on gf day? It pretty much takes away the chance to celebrate winning the NSW Cup if they want to have a good chance at winning the next week, as well.

9. rhugh89

Knights advance to NSW Cup GF

Mon 22nd September, 09:21AM

The Newcastle Knights are set to take on the Penrith Panthers this Sunday in the NSW Cup Grand Final at Allianz Stadium.

The Knights defeated the Illawarra Cutters 34-10 on Sunday at Leichhardt Oval to secure their first preliminary final win in three years.

The Panthers, the NSW Cup minor premiers, won their seventh straight match when they defeated the Wentworthville Magpies 31-12 on the same day to advance through to the decider.

The NSW Cup Grand Final will be contested at Allianz Stadium this Sunday, September 28, in a NSW Rugby League triple header.

The Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield will also be decided.

Tickets for the afternoon are just $10 for adults and $5 for kids. CLICK HERE to get your ticket now!

NSWRL Grand Final Day

Sunday, September 28th at Allianz Stadium from 10:30am

Sydney Shield Grand Final: Belrose Eagles v Mounties
    Ron Massey Cup Grand Final: Mounties v Entrance Tigers
    NSW Cup: Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights

SID FOGGS – Getting you to the GF

Sid Foggs will run a supporter bus to Allianz Stadium providing a minimum number of passengers book the service.

Bus-only tickets cost $39, with various picks up points available from 10.45am on Sunday.

Contact Sid Fogg’s on 4928 1088 or 4951 7611 or via email info@sidfoggs.com.au for more information .

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/22/knights_advance_to_nsw_cup_gf.html

10. member 2299

member 2299 Andrew 'Joey' Johns

Retired
    And that cowboyman would be like watching paint dry!

11. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He's a dirty little buggar. He only makes three or four tackles a game, and every second game or so he manages to put a cheap shot on someone.

12. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Thought he made quite a few try savers on the weekend.

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yes.
    He defended far better than I thought he could this week.

14. rhugh89

In the sheds: Timana Tahu

Mon 22nd September, 11:57AM

The NSW Cup Newcastle Knights will aim to replicate the early intensity and execution shown in Sunday’s win over the Illawarra Cutters when they face the Penrith Panthers in this weekend’s grand final.

The Knights managed a 34-10 victory in the preliminary final at Leichhardt Oval with Josh Mantellato’s hat-trick in the opening 15 minutes establishing a valuable first half lead.

“We executed well in the first 10 or 15 minutes and we blew them off the park,” Timana Tahu told teammate Nathan Ross in the sheds after the game.

Tahu reflected on the team's good spirits and camaraderie on game day.

“There was a relaxed vibe actually and heaps of fun and some laughs on the bus and in the dressing sheds,” he added.

“It was a great win and I’m happy to be part of the team that’s going to be in the grand final."

The veteran Knight has shown his versatility this season by playing in the centres as well as the back row.

“I enjoy playing both positions, it’s something that I asked (Rick) Stoney and Wayne (Bennett), to play back row this season just to open up my game a little bit,” he said.

“But…I’ll play anywhere for the team.

“That’s what I think a lot of our blokes are like that.

“It’s probably what’s good about our team, if we get told to play a position, you just go and do your job and I think that’s what’s made us successful over this season.”

For Tahu, who is set to leave the Club at season's end, a NSW Cup grand final win will be the perfect farewell after also appearing in the final two NRL games of the season.

“Hopefully we can do it again, through preparation and executing well and training as a team,” he said.

“Everything that we did all last week was perfect and I think that’s what showed in the first 15-20 minutes of today’s game.

“If we can do that, start again, recover go through our preparation through the week and train well, then we’ll worry about what happens in the grand final.”

The Knights play the Panther at Allianz Stadium this Sunday. CLICK HERE for more game detail.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/22/in_the_sheds_timana_tahu.html

15. turtonrd

turtonrd Dave Woods

You'd like to think they would have the NSW/Qld Cup GF's two weeks before the NRL GF to give them a chance to celebrate winning the comp before they have to prepare for the National Title game, but I doubt it will change because the current system means there are big state cup finals on both of the Sundays that there are no NRL finals, rather than just one of them.

16. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Will be there on Sunday. I really think they can get up, their defence the last few weeks has been outstanding.

17. IanG

IanG Darren Treacy

Storeman
    Wonder if they'll put special buses on from Central Station?

18. IanG

IanG Darren Treacy

Storeman
    Just bought my ticket. All seem to be general admission

19. rhugh89

In the sheds: Hilder and Redman

Mon 22nd September, 09:15PM

Whether a seasoned veteran or young talent on the rise, the opportunity to wear the red and blue in this Sunday’s NSW Cup grand final will instil a sense of pride and achievement for each and every Newcastle Knight.

Nathan Ross spoke to teammates Matt Hilder and Chad Redman after Sunday’s preliminary final win against the Illawarra Cutters.

Hilder said his body is holding up well for this stage of the season and is strong and healthy coming into the grand final.

“I’ll be good to go next weekend,” the 32-year-old captain said.

The veteran Knight, who has played 101 first grade games with the Club, attributes this season’s success to how well his teammates have gelled.

“This is probably the closest team I’ve played with in any grade,” he said.

“Everyone is all on the same page on where they want to go.

“They all hang out together and all have a good time together, there’s no little clicks or anything, it’s just the boys in one big group.

“I think that’s a good part of the reason why we’re doing so well."

Hilder has just announced he'll retire at season's end and hopes to conclude his stellar career with a grand final win.

“I’m happy to get there with these boys because it’s been a good year and very enjoyable,” he said.

“I’m grateful to do my last year with a bunch of good blokes and get a chance of winning a title.”

Meanwhile, for 21-year-old NSW Cup hooker Chad Redman, the prospect of winning the grand final holds just as much weight.

The Western Suburbs Rosellas junior has progressed through the Knights development system and has dreamt of the chance to win a premiership for the Club.

“It means everything, I love putting the red and blue jumper on,” Redman said.

“It’s been good the last couple of weeks.

“George Ndaira (assistant coach) has helped me a lot, so it’s probably him who has credit for the last 10 weeks of my game.

“I just can’t wait to get in the grand final next weekend with the bunch of blokes we have here.

“We’re just great mates.”

Redman expects a tough game from opponents, the Penrith Panthers, but believes his side will be ready for the challenge.

“Everyone’s gotta be on next week against Penrith," he said.

“They won the minor premiership 10 points clear of us, so it’s got to be game on next week and will need to bring a bit of consistency and a bit of energy coming off the bench.”

The Knights play the Panther at Allianz Stadium this Sunday. CLICK HERE for more game detail.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/22/in_the_sheds_hilder_and_redman.html

20. rhugh89

In the sheds: Rick Stone

Mon 22nd September, 03:20PM

Coach Rick Stone is thrilled with the Knights' progression to the NSW Cup grand final after his side overpowered a number of tough opponents to record it's ninth straight win.

The team advances to the grand final, to be played against the Penrith Panthers this Sunday at Allianz Stadium, after a strong 34-10 win over the Illawarra Cutters at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

“I’m pretty satisfied, obviously the first half was pretty good,” Stone told Knights TV after the game.

“It got a little bit untidy in the second half at times but you have to win preliminary semi finals to get into the grand final and we did that."

Stone puts the side’s success down to the strong bonds fostered within the team.

“I think we’re pretty tight and I don’t think there are too many egos in the room, which is good, and everyone gets on well,” he said.

“We can take the mickey out of each other, but still enjoy each others company and have some hard work mixed in as well."

The last premiership winning side Stone coached was in 2004 with the Burleigh Bears beating the East Tigers in the Queensland Cup, so he will no doubt be looking to add the NSW Cup title to his coaching achievements.

It will also be a fitting end to Stone's time at the helm of NSW Cup before returning to head coach of the NRL.

“I think it’s definitely helped the opportunity for me to become head coach,” he said about his time with the reserve grade team.

“I think it’s inspired a few boys to play in the reggies and has given them an opportunity to showcase their wares to the head coach for next year.

“I’m looking forward to next week, grand final week is always good fun.

“We’ve worked pretty hard over a number of years to get here so it’s a good reward for a fair few of the lads.”

The Knights play the Panthers at Allianz Stadium this Sunday. CLICK HERE for more game detail.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/22/in_the_sheds_rick_stone_.html